Is a HSG test painful?

I am scheduled for one this week; just to check out if anyone else has gone thro it and if it was painful?

maxina360

Asked by maxina360 at 2:53 AM on Mar. 2, 2011 in Trying to Conceive

• I have not done it but ask your doctot/nurse about any concerns you have. :) GL
    Hatsumomo

Answer by Hatsumomo at 3:26 AM on Mar. 2, 2011

• well in one word...YES.....but I think its b/c my cervix had a blockage and the Dr had to push the catheter up and remove the blockage.

Normally....i dont think its suppose to be that bad. Is this your first baby? If not, I think that helps a LOT! I had my HSG test with my first baby and my cervix had never dilated or been stretched....
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 5:38 AM on Mar. 2, 2011

• Thanks guys, yeah its ma first baby or rather trying to conceive my first....av tried to conceive for one year now so my doc thinks i should do a HSG to check if my tubes are blocked.
    maxina360

Comment by maxina360 (original poster) at 5:55 AM on Mar. 2, 2011

• It's painful, but it's a bearable pain. No worries.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:37 AM on Mar. 2, 2011

• My third one was last fall, and it was a piece of cake.
    SnapdragonSMT

Answer by SnapdragonSMT at 8:41 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• I have had 2. I was advised to take some Tylenol to minimize the cramping you feel for about 30 sec. to a minute while the dye is being injected.
    I didn't go prepared the first time and had period like cramping but the second time, I took 2 X Strength Tylenol (as that is what I take when I have my period cramping) and I was okay.
    miraclewaits

Answer by miraclewaits at 8:56 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• Thanks guys. I have now been told to wait till my 10th day of the cycle. so fingers crossed with so much anxiety.
    maxina360

Comment by maxina360 (original poster) at 2:43 AM on Mar. 3, 2011