How long should stomach flu last? What can I do to make him feel better?

My normally healthy 6 year old has a stomach virus with occasional vomiting & persistent diarrhea. This is the 11th day! The doctor basically says to wait it out & let him eat small amounts of what he wants, but no dairy. The doctor also said not to give Pedialyte or Immodium. It is sad to see him lie on the floor & not even want to watch tv.

Verrine

Asked by Verrine at 7:26 AM on Mar. 2, 2011 in Kids' Health

• I would make sure he drinks lots of water or sucks on ice chips. My son had it a couple of years ago for a long time and after a week we took him to the ER because he wasn't keeping anything down, not even water or ice. We spent about 5 hours in the ER with them giving him fluids. The told us that we could have let him stay home and he would have gotten over it eventually, although getting the fluids in the ER made him get over it quicker.

I would say if he can tolerate it try giving him a bath or something that makes him feel comfortable.

Good Luck!

cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 7:33 AM on Mar. 2, 2011

• Wow he really got this good. I was thinking 4 days I really do not know. I hope the poor baby feels better soon!! "HUGS"
    sta517

Answer by sta517 at 7:29 AM on Mar. 2, 2011

• 48-72 hours. I'd find another doctor.

Answer by admckenzie at 1:17 PM on Mar. 2, 2011