Do you live in a Prefab Home??

If you live in a Prefab, do you like it? If you live in an upgraded one, is it like a stick built? Would you purchase again? I am asking because my husband is trying to convince me that our next house be a Prefab. He said you can upgrade to be just as good as a stick built. Thanks for taking the time to read.

Linda1012

Asked by Linda1012 at 7:56 AM on Mar. 2, 2011 in Home & Garden

• i dont know what that is ?
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 8:29 AM on Mar. 2, 2011

• Prefab as in a mobile, modular, manufactured...? My brother just put up a manufactured home last fall - it's built just like a regular house, but in peices inside a huge building - then each peice is trucked to the site, set on the foundation, and put together. You'd never know that it's a manufactured house if you hadn't seen it come on the truck - it is gorgeous. A modular is basically the same, but doesn't have as many options, and a mobile is a trailer home. My bro's came in 3 peices - 2 full ones the length of the house (back peice with kitchen, dining, utility, etc, front peice with living, bedroom, bathroom) and another smaller section to jut off the front with 2 more bedrooms in it. Very very nice, and a route I would choose. It can get just as expensive as a regularly built house, and is almost more stressful IMO.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:56 AM on Mar. 2, 2011

• Thank you so much! I have researched a little and of course they look so nice. We have built houses in the past and always find problems that are unfix-able because its already built, but, if a house is mass produced they have a better chance of ironing out the problems??? Plus, we used friends, they probably cut corners to save money, I don't want to do that! Thanks again for your information!!!

Linda1012

Comment by Linda1012 (original poster) at 11:49 AM on Mar. 2, 2011

• Our house is an older stick built home. If I were able to purchase land on the river here, I'd do a modular home.....it is NO different than a stick built home when everything is complete.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 12:44 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• The other thing with a manufactured home, it's just like a regularly built home - you can choose sooooo many options - and it comes with most stuff in, like cabinets, fixtures, etc. The only thing my bro & SIL had to do was paint the interior - it came primed, but not painted, and they had to put flooring in (purchased locally). I suggest Stratford Homes. There are other companies similar, and honestly another may be better based on your location, but I know more people who've chosen Stratford and are so happy with them.
    Anonymous

• I just checked out Stratford, not in my area, BUMMER! They seem nice.
    Linda1012

Comment by Linda1012 (original poster) at 5:46 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• No dealers in your area either? We're in Iowa, and their house was built in Wisconsin - yeah, it was trucked all the way here, but it was wrapped, etc, and looked great. So that would be an option if you have a local builder or someone who deals with them. My brother used to work for the people locally who deal the houses. I have a friend in ND who went with another company and hers was built in IN.
    Anonymous