Can you eat fried shrimp while pregnant?

im 25 weeks pregnant an ate friend shrimp last night.. got really sick this morning and havent got sick since the first 6 weeks , is my baby okay.. im really worried

K_Dawn82

Asked by K_Dawn82 at 8:01 AM on Mar. 2, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I'm pretty sure you can, not 100% on that though.
    Cosetterose

Answer by Cosetterose at 8:05 AM on Mar. 2, 2011

• I wouldn't worry about it unless you start getting a fever/flu like symptoms. If you start having abnormal contractions or an increase amount I would also be worried. Sharp pains I would call the doctor.
    Your body is just getting rid of something it doesn't think you need for the baby. I wouldn't eat it again unless you want to get the heaves :) lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:14 AM on Mar. 2, 2011

• Its safe. If your sick maybe you over ate or have food poisoning. If it was food poisoning though you probably wouldnt be online typing because it makes you feel really really bad. Call the doctor and let them know you feel like crap and theyll tell you what you can take for it.

Answer by gemgem at 8:19 AM on Mar. 2, 2011

• Im pretty sure you can. Maybe you have food poisoning. If you keep vomiting call your OB
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 8:21 AM on Mar. 2, 2011

• Shellfish is fine assuming you don't have any sensitivities to iodine. You can have a reaction to that; but you'd be very uncomfortable and know something wasn't right.

I wouldn't eat it daily because they are "bottom dwellers" but in moderation they're fine. Personally right now I wouldn't be eating Gulf shrimp either; but that's totally your call...
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 8:32 AM on Mar. 2, 2011

• You sure can! Just make sure it's cooked properly (as with all foods). It is actually very good for you since most American's diets are iodine deficient. (since so few people eat iodine rich foods like shellfish and the growing trend in "sea salt" rather than iodized- meaning it contains iodine- salt. High amounts of sodium aren't good for anyone, especially the ones of us with big ole' baby bubbles!) So shrimp, crab, lobster...chow down!
    rbuckingham

Answer by rbuckingham at 6:24 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• I was told no seafood while pg.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 10:08 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• You can eat seafood when you're pregnant, just not sushi (you don't want raw fish.) I'd also stay away from fish with high mercury levels. One night of eating shrimp is perfectly fine.
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 11:24 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• Just as an FYI women in Japan don't stop eating seafood -or- sushi/sashimi while pregnant.

Indeed, in Japan, eating raw fish is considered part of good neonatal nutrition. The Japanese government is fanatical about public health, and Japanese medical scientists are among the best in the world.

But this isn’t because scientific research has concluded that unborn children have been damaged by sushi. Rather, it’s because the speculative risk of food-borne illnesses, especially parasites, has captured the public imagination.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/15/opinion/15shaw.html
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 8:40 AM on Mar. 3, 2011