At 23 weeks pregnant my doctor has already suggested I get a c-section stating my babies weight will be an issue?

I highly doubt this as most of the time such suggestions are made at the 36 week mark or higher. After I told him no to his idea he then had me set up another appointment for another ultrasound in 4 weeks. So I'd still be at like 27 weeks in, and I still have doubts that's far enough along to be sure on something that serious. My question is basically is he rushing this like I think he is, because I have a very bad feeling this is all just a bunch of bs. I was told at my last ultrasound that my son is a little over 1lb. And from what I know that's normal. So how exactly is that a big deal???

AnbuKira

Asked by AnbuKira at 8:48 AM on Mar. 2, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I naturally had 2 10 pounders and I don't have any problems
    MelissaAnn224

Answer by MelissaAnn224 at 8:50 AM on Mar. 2, 2011

• i would say if your having worrys and doubts about your doctor maybe search for another one
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 8:52 AM on Mar. 2, 2011

• your too early to tell if weights going to be a problem. after 36 weeks like you said when the baby really starts to put on wieght thats when you should get checked for weight. id want a better explaination. sounds like you have a doc that is c section happy.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 8:53 AM on Mar. 2, 2011

• Do you have GD? If it's not well controlled, that can contribute to macrosomia, but it doesn't mean you will definitely have a big baby. I had GD and none of my babies were over 8 lbs 9 oz which would be an average size baby for an average size person. 23 or 27 weeks is way too early to tell if you are going to have a big baby or not. Do not let him bully you in to a csection if that's not what you want (I had 3 vaginal and 2 csections and would choose the csection any day, but that's just me). And get a 2nd opinion if he continues with his pushing, or consider changing OBs altogether. Good luck!

Answer by missanc at 8:53 AM on Mar. 2, 2011

• He can't force you into a c-section. Women can deliver 10 pound + babies without an issue. Tell him you respect his opinion and MAYBE you will re-consider when you are 38 weeks. At this point it sounds like he's trying to do what's convenient for him. Some of it is genetics so ask your mom how much you weighed at birth. It will give you a rough estimate as to what you can expect.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:54 AM on Mar. 2, 2011

• sounds to me like he has a golf date on or around your due date and wants to make sure he doesn't miss it. my ds was 10 5 22 and they didn't even notice it until i told them myself something was wrong. i was to term and my canal was too narrow for him, i could feel him trying to get in there, it felt like trying to get a ball in a tiny whole. when i told them this they laughed at me, then while i was waiting to get signed out, (it was a normal checkup) they happened to tell the doctor in charge (i don't know if they were telling him as a joke or what) but he seemed to take it seriously (he was an older gentleman. the moment he walked in the room he knew where my ds was facing. i was across the room when he told me. he'd been doing this for years lol) so they called me in and sure enough, they expected him to be a 12lber, and my canal was too narrow. had a c/s the next day.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 8:58 AM on Mar. 2, 2011

• Sounds like he's trying to plan his vacation...lol. Don't let him force you into a c/s. Size of baby is not a reason for a c/s. Even ACOG states it's not a reason. I would start looking for a new dr.
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 9:03 AM on Mar. 2, 2011

• I was expecting my first child to be 6 lbs. I had a 10 lb 9 oz. boy with not so much as a tylenol. Went on to have 3 more with no problems.
    Walk a lot and do the Kegel exercise and that will help tremendously.
    tammysgray

Answer by tammysgray at 9:07 AM on Mar. 2, 2011

• Well as far as finding another doctor I go to an on post one, and this is only the second time I've actually gotten to see him as my main provider. He's going based off of my supposed due date from a previous visit with someone else before I could ever get in to see him. And is saying that he'd rather go with the date they suggested would be it, despite knowing it was very early in when that was done. As far as my birth weight when I was born I was a little over 9lbs, my husband was a little over 7lbs. And genetics aside I have nothing medically that would suggest a csection would be needed. Hence why I'm confused on this one. To be honest I'd rather go with a vaginal birth unless it becomes flat out necessary to have a csection, and he seemed confused as to why I was instantly saying no I don't think so.
    AnbuKira

Comment by AnbuKira (original poster) at 9:10 AM on Mar. 2, 2011

• ooohh you're on post! well that explains alot! don't even listen to him then. there is about a 90% chance (my own test of course lol) that you won't even see him on delivery day. you'll see the doctor on call. i was going to be able to see my doctor (whom btw, was a midwife. they don't give doctors to anyone unless medically they have to. like if they're high risk or something. even then sometimes its' a fight) i saw a few different doctors at first until i put my foot down and chose one, and wouldn't see anyone else. i talked to the midwife i chose and she agreed with me that i should see only one. anyway, i was actually going to see her on my due date because she happened to be on call the week i was due. it was great. had the birth plan settled in, and she agreed with me on it. unfortunately, my dearest daughter decided to be a week late. she came the day after my midwife got off. so i had the stupid doctor that pushed a cs
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 9:18 AM on Mar. 2, 2011