Should he accept the federal money?

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. – The Florida Supreme Court is awaiting a response from Gov. Rick Scott to a lawsuit challenging his refusal to accept $2.4 billion in federal money for a Tampa-Orlando high speed rail project.

The Republican governor has until noon Wednesday to reply to the bipartisan suit.

State Sens. Arthenia Joyner, a Democrat, and Thad Altman, a Republican, claim Florida law gives Scott no choice but to accept the stimulus funding.

Scott says he won't do it because Florida taxpayers may be stuck with billions in cost overruns and subsidies.

U.S. Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood says a revised plan for local management of the project would absolve the state of liability. LaHood has given Scott has until Friday to accept the deal.

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 8:50 AM on Mar. 2, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• IDK. Considering the cost to taxpayers is part of his job. I would probably care more if I still lived in Florida. I would worry about how many people would utilize a high speed rail (yes, even in a destination state with attractions like Disney world / sea world / etc). State subsidy for public transit is almost a given so it will end up costing the taxpayers in some way. FL doesn't have state income tax, but throwing something like this at them could push them over the edge and they would start losing residents (read tax payers). I would probably not be in favor or accepting the money if I lived there.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:15 AM on Mar. 2, 2011

• IDK either with that information. Is the 2.4 enough to fully cover all costs, or are the taxpayers going to be stuck with extra? What are the ongoing costs involved with running the train? Is the train really needed or wanted by the residents of Florida?
    SuperChicken

Answer by SuperChicken at 9:19 AM on Mar. 2, 2011

• U.S. Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood says a revised plan for local management of the project would absolve the state of liability. LaHood has given Scott has until Friday to accept the deal.

According to this,  the tax payers wouldnt....

sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 9:25 AM on Mar. 2, 2011

• Light rail is a money loser I don't think he should have to take the money. How many things have we been told wouldn't affect taxpayers and then bam it does. I know Obama loves the idea of light rail but it won't generate any money will only generate debt. Our current administration is clueless they are like giving a 10 year old free reign to the family checkbook.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:45 AM on Mar. 2, 2011

• I wouldn't take the money cause in the long run it still might cost the tax payers even if the say at this time it wont.
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 9:54 AM on Mar. 2, 2011

• No way should he take that money. I also think the Florida Supreme court should have thrown out any suit regarding this money.
    It's the Governors decision to take or not to take this money and while anyone can bring suit it should not be considered.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 10:40 AM on Mar. 2, 2011

• I live right outside of Tampa, and most of the people do want this. We do need to progress and keep up with the rest of the world. This will create jobs, and be great for our local business owners. This area has huge tourism. Scott is a tea party governor, he is going to stick to the message the tea party wants, instead of doing what is best for his state.

mommom2000

Answer by mommom2000 at 11:17 AM on Mar. 2, 2011

• There is ALWAYS a catch when you take money from the Feds. You really can't blame the gov for not wanting to put an additional financial burden on the state. I agree with a PP...light rail just isn't a money maker and will ALWAYS need to be subsidized.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 11:42 AM on Mar. 2, 2011