My 13 month old is driving me bonkers!!!!!!

so my 13, almost 14 month old has been very stubborn and defiant since she was old enough to crawl. but atleast back then, i could put her in the playpen or something temporarily and easily re-direct her. now, nothing is working, she simply does not listen to the word "NO". she gets into the same things everyday, several times a day, i swear im constantly up her butt getting her away from the same things over & over & over again!!!!!!

i know this is just her personality, and theres not much i can do. i also have a 2 and 4 year old, both of which listened better at this age than she did. my 4 year old also has stubborn tendancies but nothing like the little one. and what really gripes me, is that she is VERY smart. she has a vocabulary of about 15 words already and is speaking some 2-3 word sentences, and she understands almost anything you say to her. so i know she damn well knows what no means, she just refuses to listen to it.

i just dont know what to do anymore, im at my wit's end! i have even resorted to tapping her hand now, which only makes her grab at the forbidden object more, so obviously that doesn't work. MIL says when she babysits all she does is say "uh uh" and she listens. im like WTH? i do that too and she doesn't listen to me. she listens to DH too 99% of the time.

idk i guess im looking for similar stories here! will it get better when she's older and i can reason with her better? i think my head will be fully gray by the time im 30 at this rate! AHH!!!!

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 8:53 AM on Mar. 2, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I always thought it would be cute to have a little version of my husband around and that age I started eating my words. I have never seen such a strong willed, no negotiation type child as mine and I fear you have the same. Not only was he stubborn but he had the memory of an elephant. They say the best thing to do is distraction at that age and deferrance and my child did not play that game. In fact he still tells me about times when he was one year old how he didn't get his way about something and he is now 3. The good news is that even in a few months there will be a little more ability to reason and offer choices. Hang in there! I found that ignoring the behavior until he backed down and giving myself a time out so I didn't go nuts worked well (ok not well, but got me over the big battles)
    hotelmom123

Answer by hotelmom123 at 4:36 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• your with her the most she is going to be the most defiant to you lol welcome to motherhood wait til she is three
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 8:58 AM on Mar. 2, 2011

• lol i dont know what to tell you my lil one hit the terrible two's when she was one and a half and she hasnt grown out of it yet.
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 9:01 AM on Mar. 2, 2011

• Ha! I know that one too, my son is 3 & I'm still constantly tellin him leave that alone, No leave this alone, etc. I just stay consistant with him & I don't back down. He knows mama means business even if I have to put him in timeout or take his toys.
    MomofSteel

Answer by MomofSteel at 10:23 AM on Mar. 2, 2011

• oh i know.. the three's are the worst. my oldest was a nightmare at 3. and my middle will be 3 this year, so im not looking forward to the attitude part of it. sometimes my youngest can be such a hellion!
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 9:00 AM on Mar. 2, 2011

• she was such a good baby! a great sleeper/eater. she turned 1 and i waved bye-bye to my sanity LOL
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 9:04 AM on Mar. 2, 2011