does speech therapy really work for children

my daughter is 5 and her speech is still unclear just wondering if some one would share speech therapy testimonials

bbrown404

Asked by bbrown404 at 8:42 PM on Nov. 20, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Yes! Speech therapy does help alot. My son has been going to speech therapy and he talks way better then he did when he started. Good Luck.
    sweetsmo

Answer by sweetsmo at 8:48 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• well i dont exactly know what therapy is but i have 2 sons that are in elementary and they had speech problems before they even started school, so as the school keeps helping them, and they are mostly in special classes, my older son is awsome at his speech now and my younger is not so good yet but he's getting better at understanding, poor thing! feel so sorry just talking about it :(
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 8:51 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• My son has childhood aparxia of the speech..... When he was three years old couldn't speak a word not even mama or dada... So he is now six and he is the biggest chatter box now.. Speech therapy really does work. It is amazing the difference it makes.
    fancyk_970

Answer by fancyk_970 at 9:01 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• It works far, far better for young children than for older children. And it works far, far better for older children than it does for adults. Have her evaluated. Get her help before her brain loses the ability to learn new sounds. Yes, you do lose that ability. That's why people who's first language is Chinese or another Asian language usually can't learn to hear or make the "R" and "L" sounds.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 9:15 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• As a special education teacher, I see the benefits of speech therapy all the time. We have had amazing speech therapist at our school over the years and they have helped so many kids. The sooner the better. Definately have her evaluated.
    2mommies4g

Answer by 2mommies4g at 9:49 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• As a parent of a child who has speech issues I can say that therapy has helped my son improve. We had both good and bad experiences. My son has had three different speech therapists. The first therapist was very good and he made significant progress while she was providing services. Then she moved and we moved on to the second therapist. She was not as effective and lacked some serious skills as a professional. We switched therapists after four weeks and now I adore my son's new speech provider. So I think it is a matter of finding the right professional for your child.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 10:47 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• Speech worked well for my son. He started speech when he was in kindergarten and he continued in it until this year when he graduated out and he is in 4th. The speech therapist and I communicated about my sons strengths and weaknesses and she worked with him well. I agree that you should start your kid early so that they don't get set in their ways as the therapist told me.
    tastyc

Answer by tastyc at 11:33 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• I am the mother of a six year old son. He as well could not speak until he was enrolled into Pre-K. All he could do was point and his sisters and I would be able to figure out what he wanted. The school has put him into speech and other classes. I thought that I would never hear him tell me that he loves me. It was nice hearing him say it a few months after he started speech therapy. He has come a long way in 2 years. During the summer, he goes to summer school. It's a more one on one class. He is a chatterbox as well.
    brightchild

Answer by brightchild at 12:13 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• My son is doing speech therapy and it is doing wonders for him and it has only been a month. I can tell a HUGE difference, so can his teacher. Just if you are wondering my son is 7. :) Anyways good luck with the speech issues, I'm sure they will be resolved!
    raybell

Answer by raybell at 6:08 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• My two daughters were born with a cleft pallet - AND yes, speach theropy does work.
    I started with flash cards with the pictures - they would tell me what the picture was - she'd get the card if she pronouned it correctly. I made it fun, into a game, we'd do at bedtime.
    They both went to speach theropy and now are ages 15 and 9 - NO ONE would guess, their start in life. You pubilc school, even before kindergarten, should provide you with a speach theropist. If you'd like more info on getting your pubic school system to get you free help. E-Mail me and I've gone to a group in my state who also helped. I'm sure there is someone in your area, too.
    It is worth it for your child's future. Good Luck
    SassySue123

Answer by SassySue123 at 8:33 PM on Nov. 21, 2008