Have you had to tell your 10 yr old who their father is?

Let me explain...I am a writer and usually I can tap in pretty well to waht something may feel like but on occassion I need help. This is one of those times. My main character left her home town when she was just 15 becuase she was pregnant, its been 10 yrs and she returns to live in the childhood home left to her by her deceased grandparents. The problem is the man that she conceived with still lives in town. I already wrote in how she told him, but now we have to tell the little girl. I need 1st hand experience here if you have it...what are the emotions you or your daughter felt? my kids are just 2 and 3 and yes one day they will know that Daddy is actually stepdad and we will then explain it to them but for now...well i'm at a loss...

LadyOsgood

Asked by LadyOsgood at 8:54 AM on Mar. 2, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• I was that little girl. I never got to meet my biodad though but my mom did have to tell me who he was. I was actually really happy to learn who he was because I always felt abnormal not having a dad or even knowing who he was. Alot of people dont understand when a child lacks a parent and is kept from them it effects their self esteem. You think wow is this part of me really that bad that I cant know who they are? Am I going to be bad? Am I bad? Like I said I never got to meet mine, but just knowing who he was helped me, made me happy and excited.
    My mom is a different person and I dont know what the charactor in your book is like. She hated my biodad and never wanted me around him. She only told me so I could hate him too. It backfired though and she is still angry to this day I dont harbor ill feelings towards the man.

Answer by gemgem at 8:58 AM on Mar. 2, 2011

• sounds interesting. I had to tell my son about his Dad because he took off when i got pregnant and ended up in Prison for 16 yrs. So he has never been involced in his life.
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 8:56 AM on Mar. 2, 2011