Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

What would you say to parents to alleviate their frustration of finding out that schools won't provide food to students with food allergies?


Asked by Anonymous at 8:58 AM on Mar. 2, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

This question is closed.
Answers (19)
  • Thank you.
    I wanted to ad that people don't understand that allergies as any other condition is a spectrum some might be severely allergic other might have a mild allergy almost more like a food sensitivity. The school won't review the medical records stating that they don't have staff/ personnel to address this issue.
    you're welcome.
    I should put you in touch with my sister!
    she's sued the school board 3 times and won for issues very close to all of this with her autistic son. By federal law, if the school takes in tax dollars-they are required to provide for the children in the districts they serve.
    fight it, don't give up.

    Answer by jewjewbee at 10:35 AM on Mar. 2, 2011

  • I would tell them that I am sorry but at this time our kitchen facilities where not equipped to be able to offer a balanced meal while accommodating for every students allergies.


    Answer by Alanaplus3 at 9:01 AM on Mar. 2, 2011

  • why would you want your kids to eat lunch from the school if they had allergies to any foods. i would not trust them to feed my children.

    Answer by shay1130 at 9:10 AM on Mar. 2, 2011

  • The school is supposed to do what they can. Federal law Sect 504 is supposed to protect kids with these sorts of issues. I know that some kitchen workers don't get the cross contamination aspect of food preparation.

    If the allergy is severe, you need to take a 'better safe than sorry' approach - even if it means a bagged lunch.


    Answer by JSD24 at 9:49 AM on Mar. 2, 2011

  • The Americans with Disability Act does cover students with food allergies - however, the law requires schools to make 'reasonable accommodations.' Depending on how many allergies are at play, it may not be reasonable to expect the cafeteria to accommodate every specific dietary need.

    My DD has severe food allergies. The school technically is equipped to handle her needs. They have foods without her allergens available. They have allergic students flagged in the computer so that if the cashier rings up something DD couldn't have a big alert flashes on the screen. However, I also know they can not be 100% sure on cross contamination or on foods that come in to the classroom for events, etc. We opted for a "only food we provide" policy with DD. The school provides her a safe space to eat and the right to keep her own special treats, bring her lunch, have medication on hand, etc. Those were reasonable accommodations.

    Answer by ldmrmom at 11:37 AM on Mar. 2, 2011

  • I don't think it should be required. But I think it would be the right thing for the school to do.

    Answer by acurran88 at 8:59 AM on Mar. 2, 2011

  • what? they arent going to feed them at all?

    Answer by jodi205 at 8:59 AM on Mar. 2, 2011

  • Id tell them to go to the school board. My former lawyer had two children with food allergies. He had to go to the school board with medical information showing exposure to peanuts and strawberries could literally kill his kids. He was able to get menus changed and even have students who brought their own snack not allowed to bring in anything with those items. The only thing I would caution is once students and some parents find out they might not like you much. I was fine with the menu changes myself, but my kids were in different grades & diff lunch times as his kids & not allowed to have anything with either in their snacks they brought home. Kids are kids and they will take it out on the kid with allergies.

    Answer by gemgem at 9:01 AM on Mar. 2, 2011

  • You should contact the school superintendent and the Dietitian They should have to.

    Answer by tammysgray at 9:03 AM on Mar. 2, 2011

  • if it's you, you need a lawyer.
    I can't find the law, but they cannot take your tax dollars and not provide an appropriate lunch.
    even if you seek free legal help, a certified letter should do it without going to court over it.

    Answer by jewjewbee at 9:05 AM on Mar. 2, 2011