Black Panther case not prosecuted because they were BLACK???

That seems to be what Eric Holder is saying.

Holder's frustration over the criticism became evident during a House Appropriations subcommittee hearing as Rep. John Culberson (R-Texas) accused the Justice Department of failing to cooperate with a Civil Rights Commission investigation into the handling of the 2008 incident in which Black Panthers in intimidating outfits and wielding a club stood outside a polling place in Philadelphia.

The Attorney General seemed to take personal offense at a comment Culberson read in which former Democratic activist Bartle Bull called the incident the most serious act of voter intimidation he had witnessed in his career.

"Think about that," Holder said. "When you compare what people endured in the South in the 60s to try to get the right to vote for African Americans, and to compare what people were subjected to there to what happened in Philadelphia—which was inappropriate, certainly that…to describe it in those terms I think does a great disservice to people who put their lives on the line, who risked all, for my people," said Holder, who is black.

Holder noted that his late sister-in-law, Vivian Malone Jones, helped integrate the University of Alabama.

"To compare that kind of courage, that kind of action, and to say that the Black Panther incident wrong thought it might be somehow is greater in magnitude or is of greater concern to us, historically, I think just flies in the face of history and the facts.," Holder said with evident exasperation.

In a series of questions and comments earlier in the hearing, Culberson insisted that race had infected the decision-making process. "There’s clearly evidence, overwhelming evidence, that your Department of Justice refuses to protect the rights of anybody other than African Americans to vote," the Texas Republican said. "There's a pattern of a double standard here."

“I would disagree very vehemently with the notion that there’s overwhelming evidence that that is in fact true,” Holder replied. “This Department of Justice does not enforce the law in a race-conscious way.”

Rep. Chaka Fattah, a Democrat from Philadelphia, said the Black Panthers "should not have been there." But he said the GOP was making too much out of a fleeting incident involving a couple of people.

"The most unethical thing a person can do is make allegations based on absolutely nothing," Fattah said. "The only issue of race is singling out this particular decision...That this rises to national significance is bogus on its face."

http://www.politico.com/blogs/joshgerstein/0311/Eric_Holder_Black_Panther_case_focus_demeans_my_people.html

Carpy

Asked by Carpy at 9:14 AM on Mar. 2, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• political correctness going too far
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:18 AM on Mar. 2, 2011

• Based on that little video clip it didn't seem like anyone was intimidated. Sure...they are assholes but being an asshole, even in a public place, isn't a crime.

If it was, a few ladies on CM would be doing time...
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 9:24 AM on Mar. 2, 2011

Many people admitted to being intimidated and were willing to testify to it.
    Carpy

Comment by Carpy (original poster) at 9:25 AM on Mar. 2, 2011

• I followed this early on and do remember people being interviewed saying they were in fact intimidated. Lets change this around a bit shall we? Lets say it was members of the Tea Party doing the exact same thing. Would people want them prosecuted? I am guessing yes and also guessing it would be all over the news.

Answer by gemgem at 9:28 AM on Mar. 2, 2011

• gemgem excellent point.
    zebbiebug

Answer by zebbiebug at 9:32 AM on Mar. 2, 2011

• Not this crap....

AGAIN

LET IT GO...

Eric Holder didnt reduce their charges, the BUSH DOJ did

and he is saying comparing these 2 A HOLES to what blacks went through in the 60's is offensive and IT IS...People were being MURDERED, having FIRE HOSES turned on them.......

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 9:34 AM on Mar. 2, 2011

•  Lets say it was members of the Tea Party doing the exact same thing. Would people want them prosecuted? I am guessing yes and also guessing it would be all over the news.

They do WORSE, they show up to twon halls with signs about SPILLING BLOOD with GUNS on their hips...to PRESIDENTIAL events...

sweet-a-kins

• But republicans have, in the past, intimidated voters by demaning identification and challenging people's right to vote at the polls and they weren't prosecuted because being a dick isn't illegal.

UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 9:35 AM on Mar. 2, 2011

• I vaguely recall the only requirement to charge intimidation, is an eligible voter who says they felt intimidated and did not vote.

If those people caused one person to walk away, they can be charged with voter intimidation. Whether someone else views it as intimidating to them or not. Intimidation is perceived by the individual voter, who chose to not vote. that's all that is needed for a case.

jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 9:35 AM on Mar. 2, 2011

• Funny at the last election I was basically intimidated and asked to show my ID too. I didnt think it was much of a big deal to prove who I was. I had every right to be there. And it was a DEMOCRAT who asked me for my ID. BTW showing ID is not needed in NC.

Answer by gemgem at 9:42 AM on Mar. 2, 2011