What's with this co-sleeping thing? What do you think?

Not being rude, just curious. I've never considered it as an option b/c My hubby and I share a bed (obviously) and have a dog in bed too. It just doesn't seem like there would be any room and it would seem dangerous. I use thick blankets and snuggle right up to my hubby. I'd be afraid of rolling on the baby....
What are the pros vs. cons?
I'll probably use a bassinet but I'd love to hear views on this.

AshJoe05

Asked by AshJoe05 at 8:48 PM on Nov. 20, 2008 in Just for Fun

• I nursed and coslept with all of my kids. Either learn to cosleep or learn to live without sleep and with screaming children/babies who want mom in the middle of the night. There are only issues if you take meds to sleep ect.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 8:53 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• i slept with my daughter but only once i started goin back to work when she was one...and it was for me...because IIII wanted it..it made me feel more close to her...and i was a single mom, so the sharing the bed was never an issue..lol..i was never scared of rolling onto her, because i knew i never would..if i knew she was in my bed, then i knew not to move..lol..and i never did!! i loved sleeping with her..and wouldnt of changed it for anything...shes almost 5 now..and we only do like once a week...
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 9:00 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• I'm a co-sleeper. I'm still BFing my LO and it's so much easier to just roll over to feed him than trek through the house to go get him, stay awake while he nurses and then put him back down. But I will say, our bed is full! :o)
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 9:04 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• I co-sleep as well. When my daughter first came home from the hospital it was just the two of us, so I didn't have to worry about sharing her. I kept her in her boppy and never had to worry about rolling over on her or my blankets bothering her. She is 3 and still sleeps with me though. When dad is home it gets a little crowded, but not bad. I would definitely be kicking the dog out to make room for baby.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 9:43 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• my son was in bed with us until he was six months and then some times after that. i breast fed him and that was helpful and trust me you do become more aware of your surroundings when you have baby in bed with you.
    sterlids

Answer by sterlids at 9:44 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• I co-sleep with my daughter. I too am a single Mom so there was always plenty of room. I did take all the pillows and blankets off the bed though. Just to make sure nothing ever did get over her face. When she was an infant, I used those wedges so she could not roll.
    But, I did have a neighbor that also co-slept with her children. Her last baby, RIP, died while sleeping with her mother. My neighbor rolled over on her and did not know. She had a thick blanket and a lot of pillows on her bed.
    Co-sleeping is wonderful, just use precautions. Put your baby in the wedges, take off pillows and blankets. If it is in the winter, put extra clothing on to keep warm...just to be safe!
    GoGreenMom68

Answer by GoGreenMom68 at 9:53 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• I wouldn't co sleep with any of my children. I didn't with my daughter and she turned out fine and i won't with the ones to come. I need my sleep and she needs hers and rolling around kicking each other is not going to allow us much sleep. I was always too scared to do it ne way, but I wouldn't now if you paid me! lol I love to cuddle up w my SO when we go to bed, plus we have 3 kids and that just doesn't leave enough room.
    abootie

Answer by abootie at 9:54 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• Both of my boys slept with me until they were about 3 mos old. Then they moved to a bassinet in our room for a couple of months, then to cribs in their own rooms. I've never had a problem getting them to sleep. My dh works 3rd shift, so most of the time it was just me in the bed. And anytime the baby moved, I would wake right up. I felt a lot better having them close to me when they were so little, and I like to think they felt better too! They go from being inside you for so long, it's got to be a shock to them go to being alone. I would say just do what you think is right for you and your baby. You can also buy things that hook to the side of your bed so it's kind of like they are in your bed, but not. (Can't think of what they're called!)
    mom2XandZ

Answer by mom2XandZ at 11:01 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• We co-slept with our second. Our first likes her own space, even as a newborn. Our second slept with us for 3 years because it was the only way he slept, which was our main goal. We have a big bed, plenty of room. He never got squished. The only hard part was that we got kicked a lot.

Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 11:19 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• I never get why people would sleep with pets(ew) but not their own children? LOL..please help me understand.
    Anonymous