Does anyone work for Kroger or a grocery store that has a union?

I have a possible job opprotunity at Kroger. I've never been in a union or worked anywhere that had a union. Are they good or bad? Somewhere in between? I work at Wal Mart now and I'd like to find something better.

FroggyFeet

Asked by FroggyFeet at 9:57 AM on Mar. 2, 2011 in Money & Work

• wow i didnt know kroger still existed where are you from
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 9:58 AM on Mar. 2, 2011

• Really Jodi? They are everywhere here in Indiana. OP I am not able to answer for you, but can bump your question. Good luck.
    tiddliwinks

Answer by tiddliwinks at 10:00 AM on Mar. 2, 2011

• Thanks!

I live in northeast Tennessee.
    FroggyFeet

Comment by FroggyFeet (original poster) at 10:07 AM on Mar. 2, 2011

• My brother did for many many years.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:16 AM on Mar. 2, 2011

• Yes and it wasn't that great. I was paid more but after dues made less than I would have at Walmart or a Super Target. We also went on strike for three weeks and I lost the room I was renting. The union did absolutely nothing for us and after the negotiations I was laid off because the store let people go to keep costs down. I went to work at Super Target for less but we never had a strike and I loved the work environment much less hostile than working at a Ralph's (Kroger owned). I am now a manager for Target finished my degree and moved up the ladder very quickly. Had I stayed with Ralph's would have never moved us since it was based on senority not ability.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:26 AM on Mar. 2, 2011

• up*
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:27 AM on Mar. 2, 2011

• Can't say if yours is good or bad but be aware that you will be required to pay union dues; they come straight out of your check. There is a certain dollar amount due on a yearly basis and if you'll be starting mid-year, note that you'll be playing catch up so you'll have more taken out in this year; it would normalize next year.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:16 AM on Mar. 2, 2011

• MY husband works for Kroeger-it is a wonderful Corp-
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 3:02 PM on Mar. 2, 2011