Co-sleeping, pros vs. cons???

Not being rude, just curious. I've never considered it as an option b/c My hubby and I share a bed (obviously) and have a dog in bed too. It just doesn't seem like there would be any room and it would seem dangerous. I use thick blankets and snuggle right up to my hubby. I'd be afraid of rolling on the baby....
What are the pros vs. cons?
I'll probably use a bassinet but I'd love to hear views on this.

AshJoe05

Asked by AshJoe05 at 8:48 PM on Nov. 20, 2008 in Pregnancy

• i was afraid of my hubby rolling on my baby too, i used a bassinet and cribs but ok here's some i can think of..
    pro's: you get more sleep at night, if your breastfeeding, you can sleep during that time of feeding.
    con's : you never know if someone might roll on the baby, the dog may be a red flag, your child might grow up to WANT to sleep with you.
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 8:56 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• Yeah, I mena my dog wont bother it... she's good with my two year old and ever since he was a baby, I just can't see the point.
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 9:00 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• I was worried about the increased SIDS risk. But since my daughter was a terrible sleeper, I tried it. It did NOT work for us. She was a terrible sleeper no matter where she was. Having her in our bed actually made it worse. She would NOT sleep. And thus, we could not sleep.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 9:01 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• Actually I can tell you the pros right off the bat. I just finished a psych class that dealt with this issue *and many others*/ The pros of cosleeping are that the child who shares a bed with their parents is more secure in themselves and studies have shown they are not only children with high self esteem then others, but learn to read sooner, and are smarter all the way around. It also is a closer relationship with the parents then those who do not cosleep. The benefits of cosleeping however seem to drop off and have no advantage passed the age of 10.
    Anonymous

• Hmm i can tell you my daughter drove me nuts with co-sleeping... I literally got stuck sleeping next to here for the next 2 years unless I wanted to hear her scream bloody murder... with my son, I refused to do it, and the plus side to that is that I literally stick him in his crib, and no screaming, no whining, he just plays with a few toys if he isn't exhausted until he falls asleep about 20 minutes later... I love it!
    leoangel

Answer by leoangel at 10:27 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• i co-sleep and i love the closeness with my dd. i also read an article that said when co sleeping is done properly the risk of SIDS is actually lower because when co sleeping in the mothers arm the child has less opportunity to roll onto the belly
    Kennadismom

Answer by Kennadismom at 10:54 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• My husband and I cosleep with our now 3 year old and it has been great for our whole family. My daughter has bonded with us and it's made us super close. She is also extrememly independent and I can tell that this is because she feels secure and safe. When she was an infant, breastfeeding was so much easier and since she was in the womb for 10 months I didn't want to put her far from me...that just seems cruel! I never feared rolling on her because i was so hypersensitive to any sound she made. I would wake up at every coo and even though I was asleep, I was aware somehow of where exactly she was at all times. Continued in next response...
    hgibsonorc

Answer by hgibsonorc at 10:55 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• The cons are being creative when my husband and I want to be intimate. Sometimes we tell my daughter that mommy and papi need their alone time and we lay her in her bed where she falls asleep for a few hours and then comes in later. Or...we have to make use of our 2000 square foot house...which can be pretty exciting LOL, so I don't know if it's so much of a con. Oh...and I do get kicked once in a while! But, it's all worth it.
    hgibsonorc

• I coslept as a single mom and loved it, but I had a full size bed for just the two of us. I had no problem getting her to transition to her crib at 14 months. Now that I'm married, I would still like to cosleep, but hubby isn't into it, so we will be getting an arms reach co-sleeper. They attach to the bed, so I can pull her/him close enough to nurse without having the baby in my bed.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 11:08 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• I do both. I have a bassinet right next to our bed, and when my son wakes during the night, I can just scoop him up and lay him next to me in our bed. I put my arm out in such a way that it works like a kickstand so I can't roll over on him. However, there's nothing to keep my from pulling my blankets too high, which I don't like.

It's truly an amazing feeling, snuggling the baby while laying in bed nursing. However, the risk isn't really worth it (especially if you share a bed with someone else), so I'd say limit the amounbt of time you do it. Also, make sure baby can sleep ok WITHOUT you right next to him or her. My sister shares a bed with her husband and three little boys (plus a fourth still on the inside) because they couldn't get their kids to take to their own cribs. Good luck!
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 11:26 PM on Nov. 20, 2008