Closed but soft cervix at 26 weeks (high risk, history of preterm labor) Has anyone experienced this?

I had an OB appt yesterday and when he checked me I was still closed but soft. Last time he checked me he just said I was closed. The reason I am so nervous is because my son came early. I started having Braxton Hicks at around 28 weeks and at 33 was put on bed rest in the hospital. I delivered my son at 35 weeks. I had been having just normal Braxton Hicks and was dialating. I didn't have the normal labor pain (so to speak). So being 26 weeks I am getting Braxton Hicks a lot. I now have a soft cervix. The doctor is going to start checking me every week to see if I will dialate. He doesn't want to not see me for 2-3 weeks and find out I am dialating.

My questions is.. has this happened to anyone? What was the outcome?

amanda1503

Asked by amanda1503 at 10:09 AM on Mar. 2, 2011 in Pregnancy

• No has never happened to me, but I pray that you and baby make it full term healthy.
    prissysayshi

Answer by prissysayshi at 10:25 AM on Mar. 2, 2011

• If your doctor was concerned he would say so. Women who have had a baby before tend to have a softer cervix sooner and have BH contractions much sooner as well. It's not even a slight indicator that your child will be early. I can't believe you doctor is going to check you every two weeks at 26 weeks! All it does is irritate the cervix. I am a pre termer as well, and my doctor didn't want to do that for this reason!
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 10:27 AM on Mar. 2, 2011

• BTW I'm not saying your doctor is wrong, but I would be asking about the frequent checking like that. It just seems excessive! I've had 4 kids.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 10:31 AM on Mar. 2, 2011

• Yea he didn't seem concerned enough to put me on strict bed rest but he does want me to rest and stay off my feet. I think he is just worried about my previous pregnancy and how things progressed with it. I see him again next week and I am sure we will talk and come up with a plan. He is really nice and deals a lot with high risk so I hope he knows what he is doing. My insurance wont let me switch so I have to see him. I am pretty happy so far I am just curious if anyone has had this happen and what the outcome was.
    amanda1503

Comment by amanda1503 (original poster) at 10:40 AM on Mar. 2, 2011

• That's good. Sorry, it's hard to tell sometimes on these posts. It's always such a small piece of a bigger scenario! I was pre term too.
    Ask for that fiber nectin test. It'll ease your mind a little. :)
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 10:50 AM on Mar. 2, 2011

• If he starts getting concerned he will probably give you this pill that helps stop the contractions and put you on bed rest, he might even do steroid shots for the babies lungs. I have had three preemies if you want send me a friend request and i will fill you in on what i know.
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 11:00 AM on Mar. 2, 2011

• Yea with my son I was put on that pill and I pushed through it with my contractions. That's when they told me I needed to be in the hospital on bedrest with IV meds. They also did the steroid shots as well. I am hoping for a much better delivery this time around. :) Not every pregnancy is the same and I am crossing my fingers!
    amanda1503

Comment by amanda1503 (original poster) at 11:06 AM on Mar. 2, 2011

• I had a soft and slightly open cervix at 24 weeks. It went back to firm and closed by 30 weeks. Baby came at 37 weeks.
    Anonymous

• You should tell your OB to keep his fingers out of your vagina if you are worried about preterm labor.
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 11:17 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• Uh thanks. When I see him next we will come up with a plan and I will talk to him about my concerns as stated above.
    amanda1503

Comment by amanda1503 (original poster) at 8:31 AM on Mar. 3, 2011