How do i get my 3 year old to stop whining??

He whines about EVERYTHING starting from the moment he wakes up "i didn't get to hug daddy goodbye" "i wanted the red cup not the yellow" "i don't wanna sit in that chair i want to sit here" EVERY LITTLE THING all day long he whines about.

How do i discipline him so he understands what mommy says goes and get the whining to stop?

Mommy2JoshNJake

Asked by Mommy2JoshNJake at 10:20 AM on Mar. 2, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• When you figure that out please do let me know. My 3 year old daughter wakes up telling me "my back hurts" or "my knee hurts" and says things like that all day up to the time she goes to sleep.
    Mom0413

Answer by Mom0413 at 10:22 AM on Mar. 2, 2011

• You just don't. Sorry. Mine never stops either.
    iluvmm09

Answer by iluvmm09 at 10:25 AM on Mar. 2, 2011

• unfortunately, this is typical 3 year old behavior! he's learning independence, and is going to see how much he can get away with with you. don't give in to his demands, and let him know there's consequences. "you're having the yellow cup, if you don't want it, then don't drink. but this is the cup you're getting" are you giving him choices? i know sometimes even with choices they will pick one thing and then change their mind, but make sure he does have choices every now & then so he can feel "in control" of some things. this might limit the control battles throughout the day. and remember, this too shall pass!
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 10:25 AM on Mar. 2, 2011

• I always say, I don't understand you when you whine. If you can speak to me in a big boy voice and ask nicely, then I will understand. Then when they say nicely, may I please sit in that chair instead of this one. Then immediately I give them the positive reinforcement of letting them sit where they want. Good luck!
    parajumper3

Answer by parajumper3 at 10:26 AM on Mar. 2, 2011

• i agree with tnm796 thats all i knw to do...lol cause girl im there with u an sometimes its so bad u could pull ur hair out an u just have to walk away for a min
    kelleyplus2

Answer by kelleyplus2 at 2:31 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• I started putting my King Whiner in his room - I wasn't hearing it - Ignoring only made him louder - getting down to his lever and short reasoning did NOT work for him either..- it took him not long to realize this was mom's last straw - he still whines more than "average" but wayyyyy less now!!!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:32 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• p.s if u fine something else that wrks PLEASE let me knw lmao
    kelleyplus2

Answer by kelleyplus2 at 2:33 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• I also agree with tnm796! I have been dealing with a lot of whining from my almost 3 year old daughter lately! She will whine and say she wants the dora cup...and then change her mind like fifty times saying she wants the yellow cup..no now the purple one...no she wants the dora one again now and whining everytime I hand her one she asks for. I finally tell her...you are getting the dora cup to drink out of and if you do not want it then you just won't have a drink! And she will give in and say oooooooooooooookay...all slow and sad..and take the cup and go drink it. :) lol
    brookes_mom04

Answer by brookes_mom04 at 1:40 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• Whining? Hmmm...do what I do. I'm sorry if you're feeling bad today. Do you want me to take you to the doctor? He might give you a shot to make you feel better. (That usually stops his whining). If not I continue with Would you like to stay in bed for another hour. I'm hungry, so I'm going to make my breakfast. When you feel better, you come join me. Then after you eat, we'll sit and read a book, but ONLY if you quit whining.

He'll usually ask me if whining is giving me a headache and I say, Yes, and it's also rude. So he apologizes and we'll go for another week without any whining.
    BSWSC

Answer by BSWSC at 1:43 AM on Mar. 4, 2011