SCOTUS rules on Westboro Baptist Church

The US Supreme Court ruled in favor of the Westboro Baptist Church, 8-1.

I haven't seen additional details yet.

Asked by gdiamante at 10:34 AM on Mar. 2, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• The court voted 8-1 Wednesday in favor of the Westboro Baptist Church of Topeka. The decision upheld an appeals court ruling that threw out a $5 million judgment to the father of a dead Marine who sued church members after they picketed his son's funeral

Read more: http://www.kansascity.com/2011/03/02/2692676/us-supreme-court-rules-in-favor.html#ixzz1FSONV9io
    Charis76

Answer by Charis76 at 10:37 AM on Mar. 2, 2011

• I am sorry to hear that, but unfortunately they have the right to free speech

Answer by older at 10:38 AM on Mar. 2, 2011

• The price of freedom.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 10:40 AM on Mar. 2, 2011

• They have a right to free speech but they have no respect, human decency, or thankfulness to the people who gave them that right and continue to serve their country. You have to take the good with the bad unfortunately.

Charis76

Answer by Charis76 at 10:46 AM on Mar. 2, 2011

• I'm wondering how long it will be before someone sets off a bomb in the midst of their hatred.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:47 AM on Mar. 2, 2011

• Sad and so true. Freedom comes at a price. The cities can still set up laws and regulations to keep these people at a distance though so I hope they all do.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 10:49 AM on Mar. 2, 2011

• None of thhe justices have probably ever had a child join the military. Most are the liberal elite. Sure the sick church has a right to free speech but holding up signs that say God loves Dead soldiers and other disgusting untrue things right in the view of people who are mourning the loss of their loved one is just wrong. Why dont they just hold rallies in their church. They are spreading hate... That shouldnt be okay.
    okmommy08

Answer by okmommy08 at 10:50 AM on Mar. 2, 2011

• I dont believe it falls under free speech, more like harassment

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 10:59 AM on Mar. 2, 2011

• As with most issues i have a pretty liberal view of free speech and believe Westbro pigs have the right to be as piggy as they want.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 11:04 AM on Mar. 2, 2011

• As much as I hate this group and what they represent....I have to agree with the SCOTUS. "We the People" have started handling WBC at some of the funerals. Maybe this will encourage more to turn out to help.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 11:33 AM on Mar. 2, 2011