How ofter should you bathe your kids?

My sister just gave me an attitude for bathing my son only every other day or every third day. I told her his skin dries out and he gets itchy if I bathe him more often. She went on to say how she has always given her kids a bath every night since the day they were born, and its "just not right" to give him a night off.
I was over my sister's house at "bath time" and it consisted of her filling the tub, placing her two daughters, ages 5 and 3, in it together ( a small tub with barely enough room for both of them to even sit ) and leaving them alone in the bathroom. Worried they might drown ( the 5 year old is severely autistic and non verbal) I stayed in the bathroom with them. My sister says "Oh you don't have to, Minna ( the 3 year old) will let me know if theres anything wrong." WHA? Not only did both of them only just splash around, as kids are apt to do in water, they didn't wash AT ALL. Niether did my sister come in to wash their hair or any part of their bodies. She just let them play in the water, then 20 minutes later, when the water was ice cold, lifted them out and dried them off. Their hair was still totally dry, btw.
And she has the nerve to say she bathes her kids every night, and berate me for not? When I bathe my son, I WASH him, hair to toes, then let him play for a few minutes until the water is getting too cold. Oh, I'm going anon, just in case my sister has a profile on CM she hasn't told me about LOL :)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:46 AM on Mar. 2, 2011 in General Parenting

• Winter every other day summer everyday b/c they are outside playing! They NEED it daily!!!
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 10:55 AM on Mar. 2, 2011

• i bathe my kids every night, washing them from their hair to their toes, i always have since their cords fell off and i could put them in the tub, and i NEVER leave them alone in the bathroom...my dd is 4 and i only leave her in there alone if i have to look in on my ds in the other room (which is right next to the bathroom) but that's only one night a week when dh isn't here
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 10:49 AM on Mar. 2, 2011

• Every other day is best. My daughter has extremely try skin and I can't even use soap on her now so I definitely cut down the number of times I bathe her in a week. But if His gets dry too the doctor said to practically give them a shower and only use soap for their hair and bottom then put Vaseline on them.
    iluvmm09

Answer by iluvmm09 at 10:50 AM on Mar. 2, 2011

• LOL I do bathe my children nightly and have since they were old enough to be crawling on the dirty floor. But like you, I bathe them from head to toe. I have friends who do the every other night thing, which I think is fine, as long as they are clean and depending on the season. In the hot sticky summer, they need it daily but in the winter, if you run out of time, then so be it. I do let them play a bit before I bathe them, because I just prefer they play in cleaner water than the water that just washed the yuck off. LOL i know, i am anal!
    parajumper3

Answer by parajumper3 at 10:53 AM on Mar. 2, 2011

• Wow... your sister sure likes to make herself sound like supermom... how often does she actually WASH her children..?

Anyway... my son is three and his baths vary. He stays at my parents' house a few nights a week, and the other nights he's either at his dad's or his other grandma's... so I really have no idea how often he gets a bath. When he's with me, he gets one every other day or every three days, depending on how dirty he is!
    AdensMama0308

Answer by AdensMama0308 at 10:54 AM on Mar. 2, 2011

• Oh, and lotion does wonders for dry itchy skin
    parajumper3

Answer by parajumper3 at 10:54 AM on Mar. 2, 2011

• I do the exact same thing you do. I give my daughter a bath more in the summer though because she's outisde getting dirty.
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 10:57 AM on Mar. 2, 2011

• California baby products work great for kids with sensitive dry skin. I bathe my daughter usually daily and my son showers every other day.
    navyjen

Answer by navyjen at 10:57 AM on Mar. 2, 2011

• I bath the kids every other day. Started that when my son was about a year and had very dry skin. I was told to do that or every 3rd day but I don't go that long with a yucky boy:-)
    CjEmmemommy

Answer by CjEmmemommy at 10:59 AM on Mar. 2, 2011

• Everyday, period point blank.
    prissysayshi

Answer by prissysayshi at 11:00 AM on Mar. 2, 2011