Witnessing

If your god is omnipresent, and truly influential in the creation of every aspect of the reality which we know on earth down to the molecular level... please explain to me why it is that you have to "witness" to anyone. Would a god so great not be self evident to all?

Since you seem to have missed the point, I will rephrase.

If your god is all that you claim, then why do you need to tell anyone about him? If he is what you say, then he would be obvious to any and all people- including those who are isolated from society. Which he is not.
Please explain how, if your god is all that you claim he is, there still remains a need to "witness"?

ObbyDobbie

Asked by ObbyDobbie at 10:53 AM on Mar. 2, 2011 in Religious Debate

• No, I've always wondered this and no one had a viable answer- it was always teh same "because the bible tells me so".

If your god is so great, and so big, and so capable, why would everyone on earth not know him? Why would you need to explain it to anyone? It would be self evident, no?
    ObbyDobbie

Comment by ObbyDobbie (original poster) at 10:58 AM on Mar. 2, 2011

• There is none so blind as those who will not see. That is why we witness.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 10:58 AM on Mar. 2, 2011

• I understand the concept of "sharing the good news" that many believers feel compelled to do. What I DON'T understand is people who are forceful with it and insist on witnessing to those who are unreceptive to the message. It always strikes me that people who do that are trying to take on way too much responsibility for other people's souls/destinies. It is not anyone's job to ascertain salvation for another person and those who act like it is their responsibility are a little arrogant, IMO.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 10:58 AM on Mar. 2, 2011

• I don't call it 'witnessing' I call it BIBLE THUMPING...and boy is it annoying! We have a sign on our front door that says "no soliciting and that means you too bible thumpers!"
    prettyinink2011

Answer by prettyinink2011 at 11:01 AM on Mar. 2, 2011

• it's not that everyone dosen't know Him, it's that people refuse to know Him.....there are ways of witnessing other than being "in your face" about it....you can accept it or not, it's your choice
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 11:03 AM on Mar. 2, 2011

• eye rollingit's not that everyone dosen't know Him, it's that people refuse to know Him

SuperChicken

Answer by SuperChicken at 11:17 AM on Mar. 2, 2011

• roll your eyes all you want, it dosen't bother me a bit but don't start crying and whining when someone is rude to you about your religion, or lack of
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 11:21 AM on Mar. 2, 2011

• Because the first amendment protects everyone or it does not work.
    2tinyhineys

Answer by 2tinyhineys at 11:22 AM on Mar. 2, 2011

• I do not witness in the sense I think you are describing- I hope that my life is my witness and in the event someone finds out I am Christian (IRL it hardly comes up) I hope they think-hmm... she is someone I think has a good grasp on life, maybe there is something to this whole Christianity thing after all-

As far as the door to door witnessing- I really don't get it- I mean its the butt of jokes, people have signs specifically asking people not to witness and yet people think its still an effective way to spread the word- I think if I were a member of a church that witnesses that way- I would say "you know, is there a better way to do this because I am sure getting a hostile vibe doing it this way"

And YES- I support their right to door to door witness- I am just pointing out I think there may be a better way- JMO
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 11:25 AM on Mar. 2, 2011

• I'm not rolling my eyes at your religion. I am rolling my eyes at your arrogance.
    SuperChicken

Answer by SuperChicken at 11:30 AM on Mar. 2, 2011