If your kid is slim...

Have you ever had a parent of an overweight kid tell you your kid is too little? My neighbor has a son that is almost 5 and weighs 70 lbs and wears the same size as my 9 year old son,a 8/10. She makes remarks quite often how my son is supposedly tiny,scrawny,small. Well,according to the weight/height charts,he's perfectly fine. It makes me mad that someone whose kid obviously is fat should be remarking on the weight of another kid in a deragatory fashion. How would she feel if I kept remarking how large her kid was?
I mean no disrepect to overweight kids mind you. Most of the time its the parents' fault. It just seems like having overweight kids seems to be the norm and when a kid is actually a healthy weight,THEY'RE seen as the strange ones. I don't think people even know what a healthy kid even looks like!

Asked by butterflyblue19 at 10:59 AM on Mar. 2, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• My 8 yr old wears a 7/8 and is very thin, and he looks a little scrawny, and yes a few people have made comments, but as along as you know that he is healthy, smile and nod and let it go! They are simply trying to make their childs problem become a good thing!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 9:18 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• I don't know about the rest of you but do you remember seeing any fat kids when we were kids? I'm in my 40's and it's incredible how many overweight kids I see when I maybe saw but one or two when I was growing up. Honestly, I think that parents today are less intelligent about what "healthy" really means ... it's not sitting in front of a TV all day; it's not feeding your kid rainbow-colored food; it's not fast food and crap and no exercise. Yes, today's parents are busy and stressed - guess what? So were the parents of years' back. They've really fallen off the wagon.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:05 AM on Mar. 2, 2011

• i hate when people tell me my kids are "big" my dd is 4 and she weight 54lbs but is also 3ft 9in tall....and my ds is slim but he's only 18 months old and is 2ft 10in tall and people ask me "what are you feeding them, miracle grow?" it gets old
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 11:01 AM on Mar. 2, 2011

• My MIL is extremely overweight (like by at least a hundred pounds or so) and loves to tell me, my husband (her son), and my kids how we look like we're starving. She has tried to lecture me in all her ignorant glory about how I need to "feed the kids".
    None of us are underweight at all--we all fall into normal, healthy weight ranges. So I guess this is what it's come to for a lot of people in the US--if you aren't toting an extra 50 pounds, then you just aren't eating enough, dammit. LOL.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 11:02 AM on Mar. 2, 2011

• actually I have three boys 9 12 15 my youngest happens to be chubby,and my middles son is really slim I buy him slim skinny jeans and they fall off his butt cause he has not butt lol. And my oldest is actually tall and lean and looks really good. My youngest takes after me when I was little and sadly he doesnt like to eat his veggies. I never comment on someones child cause its just rude and its none of my business either.
    MarGeee

Answer by MarGeee at 11:04 AM on Mar. 2, 2011

• constantly ask her how much he weighs and comment that he's bigger than their 3 year old or whatever. I think it's rude. People should just not comment. I don't have a problem with people asking because sometimes I'm curious too. But if they could just leave it at asking and leave the comments out afterwards that would be so much better.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 11:07 AM on Mar. 2, 2011

• My 11 yo son is downright skinny. I know he is - I have to search and search for slim jeans because those adjustable waists don't adjust small enough for him. He weighs less than his 9 yo sister who is several inches shorter than him but average weight. People tell me all the time he's too skinny. My almost 8 month old also is tiny - she finally hit 13 lbs a week ago. I hear all the time about how little they are - I can't help it! They both eat all the time, just like my other 3 average size kids - it's just genetics.

Answer by missanc at 11:40 AM on Mar. 2, 2011

• I have one child who is petite--my 10 year old daughter is 60lbs and short. She isn't skinny, but she is small. My oldest son is long and lean--he towers over the kids in his K class but he is in the 50%, my youngest is a squish face! He is tall and big, not fat, but big. He weighs 40lbs, which is what my daughter weighed at the end of Kindergarten!

I am told constantly how big my 3 year old is, and it does get old, but I know that people are just making a statement of fact, not calling my son fat.
    SnapdragonSMT

Answer by SnapdragonSMT at 12:18 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• Honestly, I'd probably respond in kind with remarks about her child's weight (not in his earshot though)
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 1:00 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• YES my entire family tells me DS is too small. ITS RIDICULOUS. he's 30lbs. they're always trying to give him seconds and thirds when we go over for family events. my obese aunt is THE WORST. i'm slightly overweight and my husband is tall and thin. my aunt's kids are both big and obnoxious. they overeat, they constantly have to have a snack. its ridiculous.
    erinwhitt

Answer by erinwhitt at 3:03 PM on Mar. 2, 2011