What defines a hate group- is it your religion?

This was interesting- the SPLC lists Christian organizations that condemn homosexuality as a hate group-but leaves out Islamic groups with the same views from the list-

clicky link (I think)

BTW- I am Christian and do not believe homosexuality to be a sin- I am just interested in why one group is included and another is not- also- do you think the "think tanks" included on this list are hate groups- what defines a hate group?

soyousay

Asked by soyousay at 11:09 AM on Mar. 2, 2011 in Religious Debate

• The SPLC is user generated content. The reason there is no Islamic group listed is because nobody has submitted one. If you submit one now, it will end up on the site if you provide "evidence" from one of their websites. That's why the SPLC is useless as a resource - there are groups on there that aren't at all hateful, but have been submitted along with an out of context quote or two. There are bands on there who are listed as "hate music" based on lyrics by other bands with the same name in other countries. (for example, it will list a band from England, and the biography of that band, and then quote some unknown band in Poland with a website and the same name).
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:25 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• A hate group is an organized group or movement that advocates and practices hatred, hostility, or violence towards members of a race, ethnicity, religion, gender, sexual orientation or other designated sector of society.

Just because you don't agree with a lifestyle doesn't make you a hate group. I know many who are agains homosexuality but they don't go out looking to alienate others either. I think a group a people that share similar feelings doesn't neccesarily constitute the title hate group.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 11:13 AM on Mar. 2, 2011

• I think what defines a hate group is ignorance. That being said, it's what one does not understand that he tends to hate. Religion is sometimes a cover up for the groups we cannot word. Extremists really have nothing to do with a religion as far as I am concerned. They simply take the context they wish to convey and turn it into something evil. If you stop and think about it, that same things applies to racism, gang affiliation.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:13 AM on Mar. 2, 2011

• The SPLC is very biased in their idea of who is and isn't a hate group. I don't take them seriously.
    SuperChicken

Answer by SuperChicken at 11:15 AM on Mar. 2, 2011

• If a group promotes hate, violence, and purposefully misinformed defamation then it is a hate group. And I absolutely see the double standard with that report.
    KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 11:19 AM on Mar. 2, 2011

• I was wondering the same think Kristi was--if the reason for the apparent disparity is that some groups actively work to prevent those they "hate" from having the same rights, or are more outspoken in the public arena.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 4:29 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• From what I read, the SPLC identifies groups either as victims or as hate groups. American Muslims have been targeted in this country, being blamed for the foreign extremists who attacked on 9/11. I think the SPLC didn't include them in the count because they have been victims, even if they denounce homosexuality. Another difference might be that they are not trying to enact legislation against homosexuals. It might be that the other groups--the Christian groups--are very vocal, publicly, and actively working to prevent homosexuals from having the same rights as heterosexuals.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 5:02 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• I didn't look at the report but wanted to say that perhaps it is how vocal they are about their beliefs that classifies them as a hate group or how often they get involved with politics regarding the subjects they are against. Which is why one owuld be listed and another would not even though tehir views on an issue are very similar.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 11:55 AM on Mar. 2, 2011

• muslim extremists
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:10 AM on Mar. 2, 2011

• ANON- do you have any thoughts on why they were not included on the list- what defines a hate group?
    soyousay

Comment by soyousay (original poster) at 11:12 AM on Mar. 2, 2011