How do you feel about city chickens?

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/dpp/news/local/milford-man-fights-for-right-to-raise-chickens-20110302-mr

There is a problem in a city not far from mine where an old dude wants to raise chickens and the city is telling him he can't because they are farm animals.

I say bring on the chickens. They are not noisey like roosters, and the dude has built a super cute coup for them, AND his neighbors don't mind.

WTH city of Milford?

UpSheRises

Asked by UpSheRises at 11:11 AM on Mar. 2, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• cont. ~ I had hens (only) in a city of 30,000 and was within the city codes doing so. My neighbors had no complaints beyond I didn't have enough eggs to share more often. I kept them in a chicken tractor and just moved it around each day.

People who steal chickens should be treated like any other aggressive predator breaking into the hen house. GRRRRRR. I'd shoot a fox or raccoon if I caught them (and spray paint any neighbor's dog!!). Since I'm out in the boonies, I'd not take kindly to anyone just tramping around on the property so as it is ... and a chicken thief would have a very bad day. Just saying!
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 5:57 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• well...they are actually pretty noisey. even sans roosters.
    and stinky.
    and you have a litter problem to contend with.
    most people are just too lazy to take care of chickens, in a manner that city living would comply with.
    I love chickens, and loved having them.
    comply with the law, or change it I guess.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 11:15 AM on Mar. 2, 2011

• Which came first~ This Guys Chickens or the City Laws?
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 11:20 AM on Mar. 2, 2011

• I think as things continue to go to he!! more people might be wanting chickens and gardens. Our HOA decided last year chickens are okay. I was kind of surprised given our neighborhood. They laid down some rules though. I know of a couple of houses that has them (no more than 5 & no roosters). There hasn't been any issues..well except for some of us wishing WE had fresh eggs!

If there is a rule/law he has to abide it...however nothing says he can't work to get it changed.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 11:19 AM on Mar. 2, 2011

• Gross
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 11:16 AM on Mar. 2, 2011

• feel bad for the chickens
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:18 AM on Mar. 2, 2011

• I don't see a problem with it. Unfortunately people are stupid and kidnap them: http://www.craigslist.org/about/best/pdx/1571683260.html
    wildsun

Answer by wildsun at 11:20 AM on Mar. 2, 2011

• Personally I don't have an issue with it. We have a chicken ban too. As long as they are cared for let him have his chickens.
    Charis76

Answer by Charis76 at 11:23 AM on Mar. 2, 2011

• We had chickens growing up and as long as you clean their coup out and keep them well fed and water they not that bad. And Roosters are not bad either they only crow in the morning and if you teach them to crow on cue, which we did as kids.
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 1:58 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• I agree with ysk (no surprise there). People will be wanting to be more self-sufficient as the economy continues to tighten. Chickens and gardens make sense.

I know they can be stinky and noisy, but so can dogs. At least you get eggs and occasionally meat from chickens.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 1:58 PM on Mar. 2, 2011