• In the Spotlight:

Help! My 2y/o needs to be potty tained asap.

my son turned 2on nov.1st. he is familar with the potty but isn't eve half way here. He can't wear huggies and pampers pullps still makes his butt dry and rashy. I need pointers on pottytraining. What alternatives do I have besides those brand pullups. He's even more sensitive to the cheaper brands. I'm a sahm so I can't invest in those organic or cloth type diapers that are sold in bulk. please give me some pointers.T hanks!

JewelandJoseph

Asked by JewelandJoseph at 9:03 PM on Nov. 20, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Did you think he should be trained by 2? Most boys aren't ready to learn until 2.5 or nearly 3.

You have two choices:
    Do all the work yourself. Take him to the potty every hour on the hour and hold him there for several minutes. Do not go out except for food. No classes, no trips to the mall or park. You must keep to the schedule for him to "get it". Eventually, he will go in the potty. Then you can start praising him and hope he makes the connection. Eventually you can make him responsible for getting to the potty on his own when he needs to go. At that point, you can start up any classes or outings again. That will probably be sometime next spring.
    OR
    You can wait until he is ready to learn the process himself. That will probably be sometime next spring.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 9:12 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• he is very smart though he talks very well has an exceptional vocabulary and when he goes in his pullup he says mommy i stinky and then takes off his clothes and tries to sit on the potty and when its number 2 its a big ole' mess. Thats why I think he's ready.
    JewelandJoseph

Answer by JewelandJoseph at 9:22 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• Good luck I think being very demanding against a toddler is like demanding a teen to be a perfect angel, very few succeed at it.
    Mooska

Answer by Mooska at 10:06 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• My son turns 2 on Nov. 29th. I put cloth training pants on my son. He realizes that he doesn't like to have wet underpants on. He tells me that he has to go pee-pee after he has wet them. To me, that is the beginning of potty training.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 10:24 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• He MAY be ready. There is a difference between not liking to sit in your poop (and knowing your pants are dirty) and knowing what it feels like when you need to go.

First, I'd try letting him run around with no pants. Leave a little potty in the main area where he plays. If you see him starting to pee, hustle him over to the potty and say (in a happy voice) "OH you are going peepee! Let's put the peepee in the potty where it belongs". Seeing the pee helps him make the connection between the feeling and the actual pee.
    Ditch the pull-ups. They are more expensive than diapers and can confuse the child (sometimes it's ok to go in "big boy pants" and sometimes it's not (actual underwear).
    If he poops in a diaper, let him help dump the poop from the diaper into the potty. This helps him make the connection that poop belongs in the potty.
    Good luck!
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:16 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• I started potty training my son a little after he turned 2. I did not buy pull ups. They are just fancy diapers and a waste of money in my opinion. What I did was I bought him big boy underwear so he could feel when he was wet or poopie. We went through plenty of pairs of underwear before he started to get the hang of it. I also set a kitchen timer for every 20 min so he knew that when the timer went off to go to the potty. Also, my son would not sit on the potty so we taught him how to pee standing up from the begining. He just turned 3 in Oct and was fully day and nightime potty trained 2.5 months before his birthday. It takes time and being consistant. I would see how interested he is. if he does not take to potty training right away I would wait a couple of months and then start. Hope that helps.
    klane24

Answer by klane24 at 3:34 AM on Nov. 21, 2008

• That is pretty young. Unless HE really wants to go, it won't happen. You could buy some used cloth diapers if the normal ones are bothering. I'm a SAHM to nearly 6. My husband ddoesn't make a TON of money and we manage to CD our son. It really is cheaper in the long run. PLus, he's 2, he won't even need many.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 2:11 PM on Nov. 21, 2008