How to get my 3 year old DD to stay in her room all night?

I am having a hard time with my 3 year old DD. I can get her to fall asleep in her room after a couple stories but a few hours later she wakes up and comes to my and DH bed. I have tried almost everything shy of giving her medicine to make her fall asleep or medicine to make her stay asleep in her room, or locking her bedroom door at night. I have also tried to sleep in her room with her all that does is make her want to sleep next to me. Is there anything I can do to get her to stay in her room all night?

Mom0413

Asked by Mom0413 at 11:16 AM on Mar. 2, 2011 in General Parenting

• Have you ever tried putting up a gate at her door? We do that at night so I don't worry about our son wondering around if he ever got up, it's worked for us for a very long time now.
    prettyinink2011

Answer by prettyinink2011 at 11:18 AM on Mar. 2, 2011

• Put a gate up. Remind her before that she goes to bed that she is a big girl and needs to stay in her bed at night. We had to double gate our daughters room because she would climb over the first gate lol
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:18 AM on Mar. 2, 2011

• Get a gate. They work!
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 11:19 AM on Mar. 2, 2011

• I don't want to lock her door in case something happens and she cant get out of her room
    Mom0413

Comment by Mom0413 (original poster) at 11:24 AM on Mar. 2, 2011

• You mean if you sleep next to her then she too would sleep. Start keeping her favourite stuff toy besides her and ask her to cuddle that. Show your interest as well in the toy, hence she would love to imitate her mom. If the soft toy is a little bigger in size then nothing like it. Try sleeping next to her for a few days till the time she is not fast asleep. This might work...
    AnuMeha

Answer by AnuMeha at 11:25 AM on Mar. 2, 2011

• If I sleep right next to her she will sleep. She also sleeps with her favorite stuffed teddy bear. I have tried to sleep next to her for a few days then the night I don't sleep next to her she is right back into her old routine of coming into my room to sleep.
    Mom0413

Comment by Mom0413 (original poster) at 12:09 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• honestly, we close the door, and our 3 and 4 yr old, soon to be 4 and 5 year olds, sleep in the same room, and from day one we have made it mandatory to stay in bed, and none of them question it, simply make it not an option!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 10:06 AM on Mar. 3, 2011