Trying to get my son baptized...

I called my Catholic Church to see if I could get my son baptized. This is the church where I received my First Holy Communion, was Confirmation, and went to Sunday school for years. Apparently about 7 or 8 years ago, the church sent out a letter saying, if you still wanted to stay a member of their church, to fill the form out and send it back. Neither my mom nor I received this letter so they took us off of their registry list. Now I cannot get my son baptized there for another 3 months because I have to reregester! How can they do that??? Did God tell them that I didn't want to be a member anymore? I don't think this is fair and I think I may go to another church. I'm thinking a nondenominational church because I've lost my faith in the Roman Catholic Church.... Any suggestions on my situation?

Danielle42183

Asked by Danielle42183 at 9:07 PM on Nov. 20, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• Have you actively been attending Church all this time?
    bellasrose71008

Answer by bellasrose71008 at 9:20 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• While I agree it's not fair it's the way it is... What's 3 months!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:23 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• My son is 4 and I just meet with Father today to get him baptised I am a member of the church for 24 years and he is new to are church, but he had no problems, i assumed he would since I'm not active nor married to his father. I think you should just try a different catholic church your priest is just being mean.
    CMead02

Answer by CMead02 at 9:23 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• I was going to say that maybe if you could prove that you have been active just not registered they will baptize him sooner.
    bellasrose71008

Answer by bellasrose71008 at 9:26 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• I am not a member of the church where my son was baptized 6 months ago. I actually switched to one across town about 3 years ago because I didn't like the new priest at this church. Well he left so I just took my son to the new priest at the close church and he did it no problem. You might have a bad priest and my mom said you can not like a priest ( I asked when that other one creeped me out!)

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 9:36 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• It might be worth the wait and it might not be.......my daughter was babtized by our pastor of many years and shortly after, he was arrested!
    Tricia19

Answer by Tricia19 at 11:03 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• Why is it so important to get your son baptized? If he doesn't know why he's being baptized and doesn't know the meaning of it and accept it then it really doesn't matter anyway.
    T.C.38

Answer by T.C.38 at 10:13 AM on Nov. 21, 2008

• Why would you want to baptize him in a faith you have "lost faith in"???
    mtnmama111

Answer by mtnmama111 at 12:10 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• our church keeps very good track of all it's members and someone would say that they don't like it. if i move my records get moved to the new church and your always a member unless you get excommunicated but even still your on their list of ex members and they know where your membership resides in. there are boundaries to which church you live closets too etc. i think it's a great system they have. when i moved and my father moved in with me i got a call from our ward clerk asking if my father was at my residence? he hadn't been to church in over 20 yrs but they just kept track of his where abouts. i feel special cause they care that much to keep track of me. they don't want to loose a family member of their church. everyone of us is special to them. try your local lds church.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 12:42 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• That is why the Catholic Church is full of crap. They want you to be part of the church, do this do that..I dont think its worth it. They can do it because no one will call them out on it. Or you will just have to wait until the POPE changes that rule.
    Anonymous