Is moe money and benefits at a btter job worth spending 4 hours less time per work day with your baby?

am currently a GED/ESL teacher. I work 8:30-11:30am M-F. I have the opportunity to get a full-time teaching job. I graduated from college in December 2006 and haven't gotten an entry teaching year yet. This is my chance to get my foot in the door. It has benefits and twice the salary I make now. The problem is that this job is a 2 hour commute one way every week day. I had my first baby a dd on November 2. My dh got a new job with benefits. I currently don't have any benefits but would with a full-time job. My dh works long hours and doesn't want me to miss out on the afternoons I get to spend with baby girl or for both of us to miss out on afternoons and evenings with her. What should I do?

My boss, my coworkers, and the principal of the new school all act like it's no big deal for me to just up and leave my close friends here and uproot my baby girl from the family she's gotten to know here and relocate to another town with new people and leave her in the care of a complete stranger. They ask me "why can't you just move to a closer town that's bigger with a daycare?" or they say "there are older ladies in town who would love to watch her for you." They don't understand that my husband's job is here and that he's trying to stay in the shop and not travel as much or at all so that he can spend more time with both of us. There are other offices, but they are not any closer to the new town, and he can't simply get transferred. There are only a limited number of positions available at each office. They suggest moving somewhere in between the two towns and both of us commuting and my hubby bringing the baby here with him to the babysitter we have now. The problem with that suggestion is that we don't have the money to buy a house, and there are no homes for rent in this area. That also means that we'd both have to commute and still spend time away from our baby girl other than just a typical work day. I'm stuck in between a rock and a hard place. What should I do?

ishie4ever

Asked by ishie4ever at 11:20 AM on Mar. 2, 2011 in Money & Work

• Me personally I would say no it wouldnt be worth it.
    okmommy08

Answer by okmommy08 at 11:20 AM on Mar. 2, 2011

• I think it really depends on what you and you DH think is best for your family. If it were me I would not take the job or relocate. I have been a SAHM for 9 years and in the beginning it was hard because DH didn't make a ton of money and we had to cut back a lot. Now I look back and I am so glad that we made this decisions because to is what was best for us. I love being home and my DH got a new job about 5 years ago which pays better and has helped a lot.

I think if you want to be home with your DD and you DH is okay with you working part time for now then I would stay with that. In the end it is really up to you and what is best for your family.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 11:38 AM on Mar. 2, 2011

• No.
    It's not worth it.
    mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 11:39 AM on Mar. 2, 2011

• It sucks when opportunity finally shows itself and it isn't ideal. I would see if I could work something out with a relocation mid way between both jobs. Driving 4 hours a day gets real old real fast. My husband drives at least 3 hours per day to work, some days it's more. good luck...I'm in the job hunting "will take anything to get a foot in the door" situation too. =)
    RentaMom

Answer by RentaMom at 11:44 AM on Mar. 2, 2011

• College and retirement savings are important.

Quality is more important than quantity.

Answer by rkoloms at 1:08 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• You will never regret spending more time with your child. Time that can never be recaptured ...
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 2:45 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• No one can make this decision for you. You have to think long and hard and decide what is more important to you. Starting your career now and making sacrifices, or postponing your career and maybe have a harder time finding a full time job down the road? Best of luck.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 12:05 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• nope~ I wouldn't do that~ you could have used those long hours to catch up on a much needed rest after a long day work or spend with your family~ I will say let it pass, a better opportunity will show up.
    sanab

Answer by sanab at 6:52 PM on Mar. 3, 2011