Banks that won't check past accounts?

My ex-husband and I have an outstanding balance from a former joint checking account. I am told by local banks that I can't open a new checking account because of the balance at the old bank. Are there banks, online ones maybe, that don't check past accounts?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:31 AM on Mar. 2, 2011 in Money & Work

• My husband is a banker and yes that is right. He told me their is a system banks have to check to see if the customer has any other accounts. They need to know this to see if you are going to be a good customer, to prevent fraud and such. Not so sure about online banking but I'm sure it's all the same.
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 11:35 AM on Mar. 2, 2011

• Why not just pay off what you owe with the other bank?
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 11:40 AM on Mar. 2, 2011

• No youre going to have to pay the outstanding balance before you open a new account.
    okmommy08

Answer by okmommy08 at 11:40 AM on Mar. 2, 2011

• "Why not just pay off what you owe with the other bank? "

My ex and I are currently disputing which of us owes the money. When he left he cleaned out the account, while I had written checks that day and the previous one. It's several hundred dollars that I just don't have to spare.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:44 AM on Mar. 2, 2011

• How about credit unions? Same rules?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:45 AM on Mar. 2, 2011

• Yes, same rules. Good luck!
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 11:45 AM on Mar. 2, 2011

• In my first marriage same thing happened he refused to pay and it wasnt dealt with in the divorce so I payed it so I could get on with my life.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:46 AM on Mar. 2, 2011

• Anonymous, I fear I will have to do the same thing. I wonder if the bank will allow a payment plan? This really makes me mad because I don't get a penny of child support.

Thanks for the answers everyone. :)
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:51 AM on Mar. 2, 2011

• Wachovia. I have an outstanding balance through Bank of America from same situation with ex-husband. Wachovia allowed me to open an account. Not sure if you have those where you live cause I moved and now dont ahve them either. But they merged with wells fargo now,too so rules may have changed.
    huntin_mama

Answer by huntin_mama at 12:06 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• I am pretty sure you have to pay the balance off first before you can open a new account
    rosebuds934

Answer by rosebuds934 at 12:45 PM on Mar. 2, 2011