Our wonderful Supreme Court has done it again!!

Am I wrong in thinking that this is NOT what our forefathers had in mind when the First Amendment was added to the Constitution?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20110302/ts_nm/us_usa_military_funerals

This disgusts me to no end!!! These wack jobs shouldn't be allowed anywhere NEAR a funeral!! Let the families grieve in peace!!!

Bethsunshine

Asked by Bethsunshine at 11:39 AM on Mar. 2, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Morally what they do is more than wrong, but they have freedom of speech as the rest of us, and this is what this decision is based on....

Answer by older at 11:41 AM on Mar. 2, 2011

• I detest everything this "church" stands for. They are morally reprehensible. However, this is the home of the FREE. They have the right to protest. They have the right to free speech. They disgust me too..but the supreme court is right.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 11:48 AM on Mar. 2, 2011

• Free speech is for all of us. Take it away from vile people like the Phelps family and eventually we all will lose it.
    FricknFrack

Answer by FricknFrack at 11:51 AM on Mar. 2, 2011

• I dont like this so called churched but understand why they ruled the way they did. It sucks.

Answer by gemgem at 11:41 AM on Mar. 2, 2011

• I started another thread on this, and just heard a report on the ruling. It wasn't unexpected. It's the same principle that protects everyone's speech, from neo-Nazis to the TEA Party.

And before someone yells "liberal jurists" I will point out that the majority of the justices are conservative. The only dissenter was Justice Samuel Alito, who is a veteran himself.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:52 AM on Mar. 2, 2011

• While I think the FF would be shaking their heads...I think it is exactly what they meant.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 12:02 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• They have the right to free speech and we should have the right to shoot them.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 1:28 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• Everybody should beable to say what they think.

Yet every one i know on this site runs around being PC most of the time so how is that saying what you want to say??
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 1:38 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• Shouldn't this be considered harrassment?
    Bethsunshine

Comment by Bethsunshine (original poster) at 11:42 AM on Mar. 2, 2011

• As a nation we have chosen a different course -- to protect even hurtful speech on public issues to ensure that we do not stifle public debate," Roberts concluded."

THIS^. It's interesting those who cite the COTUS and believe in calling a spade a spade, are usually the ones who scream the loudest when THEY are treated and responded to in like. I'll bet FP would fit in well with that group.

So most of the 70 members are relatives of FP's- what a group of thugs- Church my azz-
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 11:53 AM on Mar. 2, 2011