Sleep aids for toddlers?

My husband and I are in the process of breaking co - sleeping with our 2 1/2 year old. Our son has stuffed animals, his bear, his blanket, we use a night light and classical music. However, last night after putting him back in his room time and time again I gave him a book and told him I was going to go to the bathroom and that I would be back.....I then went into our bedroom and watched him through the video monitor and he had about 1/2 hour of quite playtime in his bed and then fell asleep ON HIS OWN.....YES!!! He did again wake up at 3:00 and it WAS VERY HARD TO GET HIME BACK TO BED...the book or bathroom thing DID NOT WORK!! My question is has anyone every used like a glow worm or a soft toy something that he could bring to bed and play with and fall asleep doing so....ANY SUGGESTION TO HELP GET HIM TO SLEEP ON HIS OWN WOULD BE GREAT!! I really hope we are on our way to success because this is the hardest thing I have ever had to do!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:58 AM on Mar. 2, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• try a bedtime chart once its filled he gets a small prize....I did this when my dd was 2 1/2 and would keep coming downstairs after i put her to bed. I did the chart with 40 squares every night she stayed in bed she would get to put one sticker on the chart. I did that for a week which was really almost 2 weeks then gave her a small prize but to get the big prize (trip to chuckie cheese) she had to fill in all 40 squares. After about 2 weeks she stayed in bed won the prize and havent had a problem since
    tomsjennabean

Answer by tomsjennabean at 1:25 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• Make sure you do the exact same routine at the exact same time. My 2 year old can be a grumpy sleeper and these things help her out alot: Bath (I love the Johnsons bedtime bath and lotion), night light, baby blanket, stuffed animal from her favorite show, gummi vitamins once she lays down nicely (they are healthy and work the same as a candy bribe)
    amber710

Answer by amber710 at 1:28 PM on Mar. 2, 2011