Breastfeeding. . .

Does breast feeding really help you lose weight?

BallardMomma

Asked by BallardMomma at 9:27 PM on Nov. 20, 2008 in Pregnancy

• I was back in my pre-preggo jeans 2 weeks after the baby. I went into labor wearing a size 7, and now I wear a size 4.
    I really do think its from BF'ing.
    I still eat like im preggo, and Im losing weight.
    Its cool.
    Auntiemom410

Answer by Auntiemom410 at 12:13 AM on Nov. 21, 2008

• BF helps to contract the uterus back to pre-pregnancy size.
    Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 9:30 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• Yes.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 9:35 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• The extra fat is suppose to be there for when you begin breastfeeding I believe...read that somewhere - too tired to find the information though sorry!
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 9:36 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• For me it helped a lot in the beginning. Since then, I have hit one weight and maintained.I am not losing and not gaining. It does help contract the uterus to pre-pregnancy size like the PP stated. Breastfeeding does help some women shed all of the pregnancy weight, or it does like it did for me, others it does not make much of a change. Every woman is different.
    TeaAndrews

Answer by TeaAndrews at 9:46 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• Yes breast-feeding helps you lose weight. You burn about 500 more calories a day breast-feeding, and when you feed your uterus does little contractions helping it shrink back down and regain your shape faster.
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 9:47 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• Never helped me! Actually after walking miles a day for months I talked to my OB about it and yes for most women it can help you loose the weight faster but of course I am in the minority of women that it does not. They have found that for some women thier body seems to fight to keep the extra weight on since thier body thinks they need it for the baby (yeah lucky me!) LOL
    Mimomof3boys

Answer by Mimomof3boys at 10:56 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• Breastfeeding is an "activity" and it does help burn calories.......while you are feeding and to "refill' your milk for the next feeding-all of it takes calories!
    Tricia19

Answer by Tricia19 at 11:00 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• Yes. When you get pregnant, your body starts storing fat for feeding baby. When your breastfeeding, baby starts eating (well, drinking) that fat. It also helps, as someone said, your uterus to shrink up faster. You can actually FEEL it happening when baby is feeding!
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 11:11 PM on Nov. 20, 2008