Teenage girls not doing chores...

My girls are 14 and 17. There are set chores for each of them and they alternate day by day. They will do anything I say, "go do this" or "you need to do this" and they normally do a satisfactory job...... BUT ..... I'd like to have other more affective consequences when they don't do their chores. They come in from school, eat, get going on their homework, then it's usually after dinner when they do their chores.

They don't forget to text or get on facebook, or stuff their face so for the life of me I don't see how they can "forget" to do something they do every day.

The "forgetfulness" seems to happen when my husband and I go somewhere in the evening, go to bed early, etc. so I sort of need "day after" consequences.

Thanks.

RentaMom

Asked by RentaMom at 12:15 PM on Mar. 2, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• No FB until homework and chores are done. Or, take away their phone if they forget to do their chores.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 12:17 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• Im with craftingmama....if they dont get their chores done then block facebook or whatever site they love to go on from the computer and take the phones....i bet they will get them done then.....I remember my mom calling me and going crazy because i didnt make my bed because i was running late to a party my dad was having for me....i was down the street from my dads and i had to turn around and go all the way back....i was over an hour late for my own going away party....Better believe that i always had everything done after that lol.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 12:21 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• Take away the computer time and phones. End of story.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 12:24 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• We've got a saying in my house, "you work, you eat". Every one has a responsibility to keeping the family running and if you're not living up to the responsibility, you don't get the benefits. I think that even one day of them not having a breakfast or lunch provided for them would help to jar their memories. I'm willing to be the chores are done before dinner is served.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 12:27 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• I'd have them turn the phones off and set them on the table at dinner then make them leave them there until chores were done. It would only take a couple of times and they'd catch on.

Answer by admckenzie at 12:39 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• How about instead of consequences they get rewarded for the work they do. I work and my reward is $$ if I don't go to work I don't get paid. Maybe you could set chores that can be done on a weekly basis, that way if they have a tiresome or busy day, they can skip chores that day. If they get their homework done as a priority, usually do as they're told, they sound like good girls so don't treat them like bad girls. Praise instead of criticism works wonders.
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 1:15 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• So if you dont do your chores this week, you will not have your phone next week. And no computer at all until the chores are done! Pay attention to the other things that they never forget to do. What else do they like? TV? Time with friends? Allowance? All privlages should be earned.
    amber710

Answer by amber710 at 1:21 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• I do not have girls, but I have the same problem with my boys. It is school and then chores. The rule is no TV, no computer, no games till school and chores are done. If they do not do chores before getting on some game or something, then they lose the game or whatever they were on for the rest of the day.
    mlanderson

Answer by mlanderson at 1:59 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• I take my daughters phone away when she gets home so that is not a distraction with chores, homework etc.. Also, if she wants to go out with friends, she has to have her chores done.
    27paws

Answer by 27paws at 12:14 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• I agree with taking away the phone and facebook time. It won't be popular, but both are earned privledges. Chores= free time. I would be reasonable, though. I would take the extras away for the evening only and then offer redemption the next day.
    pacey31

Answer by pacey31 at 6:37 PM on Mar. 3, 2011