Free Cairn Terrier Puppy

We just adopted a 3 year old Cairn Terrier on New Year's Eve. He is wonderful and we love him to death. We already have two cats and they are traumatized. We were approached by a friend, who has three Cairn Terrier puppies that she is giving away. My kids REALLY want the puppy, but I don't see how that is a good idea right now. My husband is being transferred to another state for his job, and I will be alone with three kids, two cats, 1 dog and a fish! I have never owned a dog before, and have no idea what work comes with a puppy.

So, should we pass on the puppy or take her and make it work?

SnapdragonSMT

Asked by SnapdragonSMT at 12:34 PM on Mar. 2, 2011 in Pets

• Just keep in mind that puppies are a LOT of work, regardless of the race. You have to constantly take them outside to get them potty trained, and you will still have accidents. With Cairn Terriers, there are two other thing to keep in mind. One, they need to be groomed twice a year by a professional groomer. They don't shed, but their hair needs to be "pulled"... Also, like all terriers, they're super active. They need a lot of exercise.

If you're sure you have the time, money, and patience, I'd say go for it, because they're wonderful little dogs. I don't know how old your kids are, and if they'd be able to help with the walking, feeding, etc.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 12:37 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• I meant to say regardless of the breed.... Heh.
    Anouck

• it sounds like you're going to be a little overwhelmed when all this happens....and puppies take a lot of work! taking them out constantly until they're housebroken, cleaning up messes from where they've chewed (even with toys they'll chew on undies, flip flops and so on), the vet visits and so on. it's completely up to you, it could be the "kids" puppy, in that most of the responsibility is put on them for it, depending on how old they are (my 10 year old sil got her puppy house trained)...but if you think it's not a good idea, then pass. explain to your friend that you don't mind helping her find the puppies a home, but that you don't think that you can take on one more thing with everything that's going on. good luck!
    mom_to_kenzie

Answer by mom_to_kenzie at 12:41 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• Cairns usually get along quite well together, but on the other hand my experience with cairn puppies is that they take more work than some other breeds. I believe you should keep yourself sane and pass on the puppy. You are going to have your hands full enough with your husband out of town.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 4:02 PM on Mar. 2, 2011