My sons battle with math

I'm not sure what to do anymore I have such a hard time getting my son to sit down and do his school work especially math homework. Now he will be going into the 5th grade and I know I can't have him held back it would be aweful to do that to him. I also struggled and still struggle with math but I want him to get through it and to at least memorize his times tables and do basic math. I tried flash cards and that really got him frustrated to the point that he was crying =[ Also they have him doing math work on a computer at school I just don't think its helping him, and yes some of it is laziness to I've take that into consideration because he does tend to get lazy. Is their an easier way to help someone with math who shows learning difficulties? I did test him for add adhd and they said he doesnt have that problem. I was also told that some kids struggle with long term memory which I believe cause sadly I have the same problem. I wish to make things easier and more enjoyable for my baby.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:35 PM on Mar. 2, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• Sylvan or another tutoring program like it.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 12:37 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• Google and research the term: Dyscalculia

It is the sister disease of dyslexia except where dyslexia is for reading/letters....dyscalculia is Math disability :)

I only know this term b/c I have this and struggled in school. Even when I tried my hardest!

If he is diagnosed with this...he can receive services through the school to help him...just like a dyslexic child would :)
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 12:37 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• I'd ask an advocate what areas the school should test him in for learning disabilities. When you get the results, see about getting him an IEP as he might be someone who has a disability and needs specially designed instruction in math. Has he been tested for LT memory issues? Working together, you and the school need to find him the right help. He also might not have a disability and just need tutoring.  If you can't find an advocate, see if the school guidance councilor can help.  Given the federal law, No Child Left Behind, the school has to help with this.

JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 12:41 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• Is the problem that he can't comprehend the principles, or is it an unwillingness to actually DO the work? Our problem is the latter. My son "gets" the math and can do it in his head. He balks at showing his work, and we're still struggling with that. For him, it's a combination of not wanting to slow down and do that work, and a problem with his writing. He has Apserger's and has some issues with motor control, so his writing is really illegible unless he writes VERY slowly. That frustrates him even MORE. He uses a computer for his writing assignments but that doesn't work as well for math worksheets.

I'll be interested to see any suggestions.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:42 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• Have you tried fact families? They are triangular flash cards with a family on it. Like, 3, 4 and 7....one number in each corner. Then you show him the card, let him say the fact families, then cover up a number and ask, what is 3+4. Good luck
    parajumper3

Answer by parajumper3 at 12:43 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• First response I wish I could try sylvan, but they are soooo expensive yikes! second response, actually I will check into that. Can is their a certain test they do? I think I have the same problem as you. He does have an iep for his speech he has a hard time creating correct sentences. And it doesnt help either that he HATES with a passion reading.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:52 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• If you have 2 gameboy ds, you can sit side by side and give him problems to solve. Make a game out of it. You can also bribe him. If my daughters make c's they get a small slushie from sonic. B's, medium slushie and A's get the large slushie. It has motivated them so far, that and making games that we play together.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 12:52 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• gdiamante, yea its that too,but when we sit down and try to help him he gets tearful and so we stop. I had a hard time when I was oyung with my colors and math,my mom smacked me on my head and told me I was stupid so it got me nowhere and i used to hide my homework cause I couldnt do it. I just didnt understand it. With my son I think I will try a reward system like going to nickelcade to play game might get him more motivated to try. And I will try the flash cards you mentioned parajumper ty
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:55 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• Karrie I like idea! I will try that as well.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:56 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• Thanks for your sweet responses I will try a lot of what you suggested.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:57 PM on Mar. 2, 2011