If you live paycheck to paycheck, do you get jealous of others?

I've tried going back to school to create a "career" and not just a job but I have a learning disability and untreated ADHD and I can't comprehend and always wind up falling too far behind and terminated from the programs.. my husband feels he can't go back to school for anything that would actually make us more money than he's making now as his current job.. I feel like this will just be a battle forever just barely getting by... I can't seem to organize or figure out how to budget to seem to save any money even.. we only have 1 child and can't think of another because its already so tight.. I just wish sometimes things would change or turn around.. I just don't know how to do it... I know its US that need to make the changes but its like we can't seem to.. or know how to.. I just get so jealous of people with money - I know I need to get over it cause this is what I have done to myself but grrr.. just a vent really

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:51 PM on Mar. 2, 2011 in Money & Work

• I totally get jealous of people better off than me. I live with my best friend right now, and I'm not working ATM, so we're living off of HIS paychecks. Even when I do find a job and can chip in, we'll still be going paycheck to paycheck. I have a friend who always says she and her boyfriend are as bad off as we are... but they don't take into consideration that they ALWAYS have cupboards and a fridge full of food, she's always got at least $1000 in her savings (while we have nothing), and they even took a trip to Vegas last year. They may be left with the same amount we are once everything is paid (next to nothing), but she's not including the things they do have.
    AdensMama0308

Answer by AdensMama0308 at 12:56 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• people who say that $$ doesnt equal happiness- has never missed a mortgage payment.
    It may not be the sole key to happiness but without it theres sure a damper on our mood!
    pinkcicle709

Answer by pinkcicle709 at 1:34 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• No. I'm grateful for what I have. Things could be much worse. My bills are paid on time each month, we always have groceries, and there's a little left over for 'fun' stuff too. The only thing I envy is the ability to stick to a budget properly but there are people on every socioeconomic level that struggle with that.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 12:58 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• You shouldn't be, be proud of what you have because so many have so much less.....

I live pay check to pay check, I think about going back to school-It is my self and my kids.... There dad helps of course but it is still very hard....

I find a way to save money though, coupons, thrift stores, outlets to purchase new clothes and shoes, recycle, there are so many ways, you just have to find them... I get help and I am not ashamed when it is offered It helps me have a little extra....
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 12:55 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• Have you considered healthcare? I work as a nurse and a lot of nurses, respiratory therapists have ADHD. Just a thought.
    Anonymous

• You should see if Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace University is being offered anywhere around you. Dh and I took the classes a year a go and it really helped us to put things in perspective. Our bills have been prioritized and we have set a budget. We are still living paycheck to paycheck but at the same time we are getting somewhere.
    JamieLK

Answer by JamieLK at 2:39 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• Nah... as a former single mother of two who spent plenty of my life living pay check to pay check, I think this only made me who I am today. I know what I want and how to achieve that. I took control of my life, stop dating and all that crap... and ya know what, when I stopped looking for someone, I found him. I also found the ability to start, yet another career! LOL! Was it difficult, you bet your sweet butt. I lived for my tax return those years. But, I wouldn't trade that experience for the world!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:55 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• You should go see the consumer credit people. I think its what they are called. They actually work with you to come up with a budget and pay past bills down too. We did that in my 20s and it really helped. As for feeling jealous I used to when I was younger, but over time things have gotten a little more stable.

Answer by gemgem at 12:55 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• We live paycheck to paycheck as well. We have a little after the bills are paid but something always comes up. The one thing you can do is track your spending. Then you can see where your money goes, so that you can make cuts where you need to and start saving some. I did that at the end of last year and we are doing better but not great. There are expenses that I would love to cutout, but we have to have them for my SO's job
    coala

Answer by coala at 1:02 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• Income has nothing to do with happiness.

Answer by rkoloms at 1:06 PM on Mar. 2, 2011