How to teach equality?

My four year old daughter is beginning to point out differences between people other than herself, which I'm sure is just normal. For instance, she came home to tell me something about one of her friends at school and she started out by saying "that girl that looks different" meaning her "black" or African American, which ever you prefer, friend. I am predominantly unprejudice, I have immediate prejudices but I try to not that those affect how I interact with those people, so I want to do my best to teach her to be the same way. How should I without forcing it and making her feel like she can't have her own opinion (which will happen more when she's older).

iluvmm09

Asked by iluvmm09 at 12:58 PM on Mar. 2, 2011 in General Parenting

• You introduce multiple races to her through books, movies and even dolls. If you don't make a big deal about it neither will she. When she points something out like that say 'yes! isn't amazing all the different colors people can be?'
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 1:04 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• I think you just live it in your life. Treat everyone the same, and she will learn from that. My oldest was very curious the first time he saw someone of dark complexion. Just said they were dark, I laughed and said "and your white". Never been an issue since. Now he has had issues gently describing weight and age. He has refereed to my MIL as "old"...lol and at one point he was trying to describer his gym teacher and he said "well, she's kinda fat". So we are working on word choice.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 1:50 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• I don't want to teach her "black and white" I want her to know that people are just people regardless of what they appear. But his issue isn't just for racial equality it's also for people that may be mentally challenged, or homosexual or anything really.
    iluvmm09

Comment by iluvmm09 (original poster) at 1:52 PM on Mar. 2, 2011