Do step mothers have any rights in the state of TX when it comes to the child?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:09 PM on Mar. 2, 2011 in Kids' Health

• Not unless they've been made a legal guardian.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 1:10 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• rights to do what???????????????????? KEEP THE KID if dad passes away ??? goes over seas????
    kkbird

Answer by kkbird at 1:11 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• what kind of rights?? To do what?
    Anonymous

• Most step parents in any state do not have the right to do much. They can go to parent teacher conferences, they can authorize emergency medical procedures, they can do things like that, but if you mean if you divorce do you have any rights to the kids, well the answer is NO.

Answer by gemgem at 1:12 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• Unless they are given guardianship or given parental rights to a child they do not have any rights to that child.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 1:15 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• Ok, i fugured so, My step daughter is 12. Her bio mother lost her rights to her when she was 3, due to abandonment and drug addiction. I have not legally adopted her yet. The mother wants visitation. The last visitation, there were drugs done in front of her and I am scared to death about her going this year for a vist. I know my husband has final say so..but I do not feel he is looking in the best interest of her well being. I dont know what I can do.... if , I can do anything at all, but I feel I need to try.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:19 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• If the Mother lost parental rights..she has no right to visitation. That is strictly up to the remaining parent. Does the 12 yr old want to go? If not, have her talk to Dad and tell him why she doesn't want to go. If drugs were present the l;ast time..and you know it and willingly send her there again without any proff that something has changed you could be opening yourselves to legal trouble.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 2:22 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• The father doesnt want her to think HE is the reason she does not know her mother. She wants to go. There are no rules and no consequences when she is there. So, to a 12 yr old its like Disneyland. The Bio mom trys to be a friend and not a mother because she only sees her once a year, if that. I dont know how to disguss this with my husband and get him open his eyes. I have tried several times. This is not helping his daughter, it is putting her in danger and exposing her to some very impressionable things at her age. She is a "do what others do" kind of kid, not a leader. She wants her mothers attention so bad she would do anything to get it. It sounds like no matter how hard I try, HE has the decisoins to make. I can only try to open his eyes. Thank you for all your answers and suggestions.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:33 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• I understand your situation. Now that we have adopted our grandkids I COULD keep their bio-Mom out of their lives...but I don't ever want the words flung back at me "You kept me from knowing my Mom". It's a fine line. Just make sure he knows sending her there unsupervised when you know for a fact she did drugs the last tme is risking her safety with you.

GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 4:41 PM on Mar. 2, 2011