In YOUR opinion, what should child support be used for?

should it be used only for necessities for the child? such as food, clothing, bills that help heat/cool the house, etc?

or should it be able to be used for fun things as well? like a trip to the zoo, extracurricular activities such as soccer, dance lessons, etc.?

im curious because i would like to sign my 4 year old up for gymnastics or some fun activity at the Y in the fall. she will be going to VPK this fall which is free so i dont have to worry about daycare costs. i stay at home with her anyway and my husband works. my husband and i cannot afford gymnastics, but with the extra money we get in child support, we can.

so what is your opinion on how CS money should be spent?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:16 PM on Mar. 2, 2011 in Money & Work

• Child support is to be used in whatever manner seen fit. When I was a single mom I had all 4 kids with me. If I didnt have 4 kids I wouldnt need a 3 bdrm. That meant I had higher rent so sometimes it went to help with rent. Sometimes it went to pay electric. Some times it went to clothes, toys, or my dd's dance team stuff too.
    I think for me I use it to pay myself back. I never got it regularly though so maybe that is why. By the time I got anything it would have been months of no support and months of me paying for everything on my own.

Answer by gemgem at 1:19 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• Its money for you to support your baby so I think whatever you need that makes your family happy. I would take her to gymnastics sounds like fun momma!
    MarGeee

Answer by MarGeee at 1:18 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• What ever the primary caregiver deems appropriate. It all goes to giving that child a decent upbringing. So if it's gymnastics, or team sports so be it! Braces, fine. Just paying the bills so you have a roof over your head, no ones business but yours.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 1:19 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• I would use the CS for the needed things, and ask the ex for half the money for the fun things.
    Saya

Answer by Saya at 1:19 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• In my opinion child support should be used solely for the child (: So if gymnastics is what she'd like to try, then go ahead (:

When mothers are spending CS money on cigarettes or stuff for themselves is when I see wrong!
    seecb

Answer by seecb at 1:22 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• I believe it should be for the childs needs.
    Hatsumomo

Answer by Hatsumomo at 1:19 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• towards anything that an extra person adds to a home. Utliities,food,clothing,insurance,school expenses

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 1:19 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• I personally think that it should be used for the child's primary needs such as clothing, food, etc. first then if extra is left over then putting it toward a fun activity for the child wouldn't be any harm at all (as long as it's still for the child though). I take the child support for my oldest from my ex and make sure I get all necessities for my son taken care of first then if there happens to be any amount left I'll take a small part of it to do a cheap priced fun activity for him, like take him to the Bounc House place to run around and bounce in all the different blow-up houses they have there since he loves that place. I try to keep the child support for necessities only though and even put some aside in savings for him and use my own money from my current hubby and I's income to let the boys do a fun activity together.
    shortmommy23

Answer by shortmommy23 at 1:20 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• Here's my opinion: It should be used where it's needed, basically.
    If you have times where you're struggling, use it towards things the child needs - food, clothing, daycare, etc. At times where things aren't as difficult, either put it away to save for your child, or put it towards some fun. The kid's needs should come first, IMO.
    AdensMama0308

Answer by AdensMama0308 at 1:23 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• As long as it is something that benefits the child I see no problem with paying for gymnastics with CS money. As long as the childs needs are met there is no problem in my opinion using it for something such as this. Much better than booze and manicures, like some "mothers"
    wildsun

Answer by wildsun at 1:23 PM on Mar. 2, 2011