My 5 year old daughter will not do the #2 on potty & I don't know why, advice?

Hello Cafe Moms,
I am new to this site. I think it's great to be able to ask questions & get advice, so I appreciate any opinions, ideas, suggestions you might have to offer.
My daughter turned 5 a week ago (Jan 30th) She was FULLY potty trained @ age 3. She refuses to sit on the potty to poop & holds it in until it gets in her underwear. She will even try to hide the stained underwear in the hamper under clothes & use her little sister's baby wipes to clean her butt & put clean undies on so my husband & I won't find out. She WILL NOT sit on it to poop! I am getting desperate. She has had two U.T.I's & the pediatrician was no help. Couldn't give me any advice when I asked & just prescribed her antibiotics for the infection. She is not constipated. When I clean her, the stool is soft. She hasn't seen any movies of monsters coming out of the toilet & doesn't fear it...obviously b/c she'll pee in the potty. I have tried laxatives, fiber cereal & fiber one yogurt. Prune & apple smoothies & she's still try to hold it in. What can I do?
We have rewarded her for trying to go, had a chart w/ stickers & prizes. That did not work. She still did not want to poop in potty. Then we started taking toys away every time she held it in & it got in her underwear.
NOTHING WORKS. My daughter is so sweet, happy, loving, but will not poop on that potty no matter what! She holds in it for dear life!!!! I am worried b/c she starts Kindergarten this August.
Some sad family things have happened, but I do not know if it's related to her holding poop in. My husband I seperated a year ago for 2 weeks. We are together & she has a happy Mommy & Daddy. Her Daddy lost his job last year & also her Nana (husband's mom) passed away 6 months ago.
She was holding her poop in before all this happened though. So I doubt it has anything to do with it.
She has no interest in pooping in bathroom. I have to physically lift her up & put her on the toilet! She will scream & cry, jump off & go crazy when I make her sit on it. I only do that when it's coming out b/c her body won't allow it to stay in.
So...help please? Thanks!

WaterLily_Pads

Asked by WaterLily_Pads at 1:24 PM on Mar. 2, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Since this has been happening a while I would recommend researchingencopresis and calling to speak with a gastroenterologist. A Pediatrician won't likely be able to help you with this specific field.  While your child may not end up having encopresis, a specialist would probably be your best bet at this point.  They will understand what you are telling them and are not as likely to brush off your concerns.  Good luck. 

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:01 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• Some children see pooping as part of themselves, and don't want to lose it. She is old enough to put simply to her where poop comes from, and that it is healthy to let it out!
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 1:31 PM on Mar. 2, 2011