What would you say is the major difference between you and your hubby's parenting style??

I tend to be stricter and less patient than my calmer, laid back spouse which tends to lead to problems sometimes. Maybe is has to do with the fact that I'm the one at home with the kids all day and I'm just worn out. What is yours??

natersmom76

Asked by natersmom76 at 1:33 PM on Mar. 2, 2011 in General Parenting

• My dh and my childhoods were completely different and it effects the way we both see discipline. He was raised very poor, with a mom who believed in smacking & spanking his butt. Then she remarried and step dad was abusive to him and they made him basically clean the whole house, were verbally mean to him etc. I was raised in an affluent home, I was sheltered you can say never knew anything about needing something, was never spanked and was spoiled.
    Because of that I dont spank my kids. I withhold things from them like allowances. I wont buy them something they want if they are bad. My dh thinks you should spank and sees no problem with a pop on the butt from time to time. He can be loud and get angry but never mean since he went through it himself with his step dad. So I just have a very diff parenting style then him & most people out there. It works for me though.

Answer by gemgem at 1:39 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• My spouse used to be so out of the loop (also due to not having kids of his own ever and not knowing anything about parenting) in the beginning, lol. He would let the boys get away with anything and spoil them both like crazy which would make it difficult for me when he was at work because I was not like that. I was stricter and put them in time out when they did wrong on things and I wouldn't pick them up (the youngest specifically) every single moment there was crying even if over nothing. I had to sit down with my hubby to explain to him that he has to be firm to some extent or the boys will walk all over him left and right more and more as they get older. He said okay and he'd start getting firmer with them. I can't help but laugh at that because he still doesn't get firm on things and doesn't realize it. I love him for trying though, lol.
    shortmommy23

Answer by shortmommy23 at 1:41 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• He doesn't pay attention to what our son is/isn't doing and he gets away with alot

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 1:34 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• I'm right and he's wrong...lol!!
    I guess we differ in that I read and research on valid sites or talk to actual Drs.. and he gets advice from people he works with.. which happens to be night workers at grocery store...ums.. BIG Difference 99% of the time in advice -
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:37 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• He is more laid back and I spaz out easily
    MelissaAnn224

Answer by MelissaAnn224 at 1:37 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• He's the tougher one.... I usually always lets things slide >:)
    Miszross

Answer by Miszross at 1:38 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• my husband and i are opposite of you & your hubs. hes strict & firm, im gentle & laidback. sometimes they do walk all over me, especially when its just me & them all day long & daddy is at work. they do a total 180 when daddy gets home. i have a lot more patience than he does, so things that he thinks they're doing wrong, do not bother me at all.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 1:39 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• I'm more into consequences the FIRST time my son doesn't listen whereas my husband tends to be a little more laid back and gives him a few chances to do what he's supposed to do. It doesn't really cause too many problems, though, luckily because my husband is really only home in the morning when there aren't too many ways for my son to act up and on the weekends when I tend to be more laid back because I'm working outside of the home.
    erinwhitt

Answer by erinwhitt at 1:40 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• My husb is the baby of 9, I was raised an only child. So I tend to be a bit on the (over) protective side. However, that being said, our dau has him wrapped around her little finger, so he's a bit of a spoiler when it comes to her. It seems like I handle most of the discipline, but I'm also more hands on in general. (Like playing games w/ them) I guess it all evens out - I'm his ying to his yang. :p
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 1:50 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• interesting answers, ladies!!
    natersmom76

Comment by natersmom76 (original poster) at 10:39 PM on Mar. 2, 2011