I am at a loss...I am scaring myself.

Please dont bash. I am going to my OB on Friday. I tried getting into behavioral health through my insurance when the following started, but there were MONTHS of wait time. I dont know whats wrong or why I get so angry.

I have an 18 month old son who likes to not listen and throw fits like every toddler. Lately he's been doing this blood currdling scream and it sends me over the edge. I yell at him and sometimes I am scared I'm going to hurt him because I dont really realize how bad I am yelling, or how frustrated I am. I am 4 months pregnant with my second child, and my husband is helping as best he can, but he's in the Army so its just me a lot of the times. I get so frustrated because he whines and I dont know why, and he cant tell me. I had really bad PPD after he was born but I have been off meds for almost a year. Then after I got pregnant things started getting bad again. I dont know what to do. I feel horrible and like I dont even deserve to be his mother because I get so mad so easily.

I'm not sure what to do. Any help would be appreciated, but PLEASE dont bash. I am HIGHLY ashamed and I am TRYING to get help.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:00 PM on Mar. 2, 2011 in General Parenting

• Seeing your doctor is a good first step. After the first trimester I believe it is alright to take certain antidepressents. Ask your doctor about that. I would also look into a counselor for yourself. That way you have someone to help you learn coping skills. You probably dont have good ones if you are using yelling to cope. Good luck.

Answer by gemgem at 2:03 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• Mom, no reason to be ashamed, you are human and hormones from your pregnancy do not help any. It is great though that you have recognized the problem, I suggest some anger management classes to help you deal better. Good luck and remember, keep catching yourself every time you feel you are going over the edge, give yourself some time out.

Answer by older at 2:04 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• I have no helpful suggestions. Just good luck and I hope you get the help you need veryvery soon.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 2:04 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• Did this just start after you got pregnant with # 2? I think its great you are wanting and seeking help - thats huge!! Hang in there..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:05 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• Bless your heart, I wouldn't bash you.....You are in a highly stressful situation.....You need to find a mother's day out program, or find a friend to take turns babysitting.....or a mother's support group that is like a playgroup, but for the mom's to get together and have coffee, or wine, or coke and just enjoy each other's company....Do you live on a base? Sometimes they have those kinds of things on base...or perhaps you can start a group in your home.....Can your mom or another family member come stay with you for a while to help? However you do it, you NEED to get away from your child every once in a while for both of your sakes....take care...
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 2:06 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• This did start after I got pregnant again, well it started back up. I had pretty bad PPD and I would get extremely frustrated when he was younger. I do live on post, we just have one car, so me doing much of anything without the baby is next to impossible. grocery shopping is really my only escape.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:12 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• AWW... momma.... maybe try taking hubby to work on day and keeping the car ... go to YOUR DR.... tell him whats going on and that you can't wait 4-6 mos to get into another DR office. Easy t osay ... I KNOW ,,,, but.... let child throw his fit.......just WALK AWAY. count to 10-20 or wait til he comes crying to you for hugs. He may be just as frustrated as you are and this is the only way he knows how to get it out. try to take his mind off of the situation aslo by showing him something else.... give him some pots and a wooden spoon to play with, cook mommy something.
    I hate that you are feeling this way . hope it helps doll
    kkbird

Answer by kkbird at 2:35 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• I've been there - and really what helped for me was just giving my son a huge hug - really that is what I needed at the time and I think he needed it as well. If that didn't work I would just go into the other room for a few minutes and take long deep breaths. Just remember you have a choice on the kind of parent you want to be.... it is hard - especially if you are taking on most of the load. good luck.
    mommahershey

Answer by mommahershey at 2:43 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• Honey I understand when I had my daughter I cried all the time when she cried when I had to get up in the middle of the night I was never raised around kids and I sure wasn't ready for one and I would scream at her in my head and take deep breaths and try to be as paitent as I can or I would get my mom to take her.
    Stinson90

Answer by Stinson90 at 5:24 PM on Mar. 2, 2011