Anti Depressants

When is the right time to wean myself off of my anti depressants for PPD?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:07 PM on Mar. 2, 2011 in General Parenting

• I don't suggest weaning yourself off of the medication. I got prescribed Zoloft for PPD and I tried weaning myself off and it thru me off big time. I did it myself because I didn't want to wait for the doctor to slowly wean me off herself. From personal experience I recommend letting the doctor wean you off instead. I'm not sure which medication you were prescribed either though.
    shortmommy23

Answer by shortmommy23 at 2:09 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• i always talked to my dr first, she had suggested to me to cut my pill in half stay on that for about a week then take it every otherday for a week then stop
    mamaslove4ever

Answer by mamaslove4ever at 2:11 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• Zoloft....but I guess my question is when do I know when to ask the doctor to wean me off?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:12 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• Please don't wean yourself, have your doctor help you.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 2:12 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• If you feel like you are ready to come off the meds then talk to your doctor at your next appointment or make an appointment to talk to your doctor. Then the two of you can discuss it and come to the best solution for you.

NickLukeandEmma

Answer by NickLukeandEmma at 2:14 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• If you feel stable and want to get off the medication, talk to your doctor. They will slowly reduce your meds and check in with you to make sure things are going well.
    Nonoluna

Answer by Nonoluna at 2:24 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• Do you feel that all the symptoms you displayed when you went to your doctor about possible PPD have subsided and you are back in control with your emotions? I also mentioned seeing the doctor because you can also have a chemical imbalance from PPD where you would have to take zoloft until the doctor sees that all the proper hormones and all are back to normal fully. I personally had PPD with both of my pregnancies and the first time I was put on the wrong medication which my current doctor says caused me to have what I have now which is anxiety disorder on top of PPD and clinical depression, so getting of Zoloft for me probably isn't happening anytime soon unfortunately.
    shortmommy23

Answer by shortmommy23 at 2:25 PM on Mar. 2, 2011