Ok another potty training question

has anyone successfully done potty training boot camp before your child was really ready? My son who is almost three was showing signs a few months back that he wanted to try but for various reasons I couldn't train him then. So Im thinking about starting now - but I feel like I may have missed my window a bit - thoughts?

mommahershey

Asked by mommahershey at 2:33 PM on Mar. 2, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• It's never too late to potty train, but it can be too early. Unless there's something medically/mentally wrong a child never starts kindergarden not potty trained. Some train at 2 some at 3 and some at 3.5 but the window of opportunity is never missed, if anything it hasn't arrived yet. Follow your sons signs, and look for the key element, bladder maturity. If he's dry all night, and can recognize when he's wet, his bladder is ready. If those two things aren't present you're just going to cause everyone in the situation stress. MOST (not all) boys master the potty around 3-3.5, girls a little sooner because their organs mature faster. I think if you believe your son is ready giving it another go couldn't hurt. Just don't get frustrated if it fails again, you've got plenty of time. GL :)
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 2:39 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• im having a hard time with mine an ive been tryn 4ever now an he knws wat he pose to b doin he ll do it one moment then dnt he ll tell u wat he pose to b doing an just dnt... u nd to wrk on it as much an as steady as u can because the way i feel about it mine an urs and any kid of the age of three should b potty train already
    kelleyplus2

Answer by kelleyplus2 at 2:41 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• My sister has a 2.5 year old and started when she wasn't ready, it was a living nightmare! she pottied her pants for 5 months straight, you had to take her potty every hour on the hour and she wouldn't poop in the toilet ever. finally her mom decided to give it a break, after waiting till she was a little over 3 she tried again and worked quickly. she caught on and didn't fight to use the toilet. She learned fast and knew to tell her mom when she had to go. i think if you try when they aren't ready then it will backfire on you, but the only way to know if they are ready is to try. after about a week if you feel things aren't working then wait a couple months and try again.
    amynlexi

Answer by amynlexi at 4:16 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• Ok have the boot camp book, my husband tried to make it the bible and was very insistant that people used to train kids to use the potty at 9 months old so our two year old was more than ready. I don't like the method, I think its too forceful. I took want I wanted from it but truly not the approach the worked. I think its a little too soldier like and can easily backfire.
    hotelmom123

Answer by hotelmom123 at 5:33 PM on Mar. 2, 2011