What can i tell my sister to make her realize that she"s hurting her unborn child doing prescription drugs(painkillers)?

Basically i need to prove to here that waht she's doing is effecting the baby.. How can i do that?

M_lozier

Asked by M_lozier at 11:20 AM on Jun. 19, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It kinda depends on the painkillers, my understanding is that some do not cross through to the baby, but i could be wrong. Do you know what kind of painkillers? If you do you can run a search on one of the medical websites or email one of the experts at one of those sited (WebMD or something similar). They should give you details. Also a pharmacist will know.
    jenr8ion

Answer by jenr8ion at 11:23 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Is it a prescription? Does her doctor know that she is taking it while pregnant? I would look up online the effects that this drug can have on her baby and print it off and give it to her and just tell her that you love her and you are worried.
    carsonoliviamom

Answer by carsonoliviamom at 11:23 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• If by painkillers you mean opiates (like vicodin) tell her that opiates and opioids are SYNTHETIC HEROIN!!! Her baby will be born an opiate addict and have to detox in the hospital thanks to her drug use.
    beccapaoli

Answer by beccapaoli at 11:27 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• I was on perks when I was pregnant because I was in a car accident and they put me on vicodins also but I used them under all guidelines but I would get reading materials for her and maybe have a sit down with a dr
    Babyduche

Answer by Babyduche at 12:05 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Any doctor's office has handouts on this. Ask them to give you one so you can show her first hand what it does. I was on painkillers because I had to have surgery while pregnant and I asked the nurses and doctors time and time again if it was hurting my baby and they told me no that it just made her sleepy, that was a bold face LIE. It did hurt her, and made her digestive system slow growing and she has had stomach and esophogeal problems her whole life caused by the pain killers.
    CandaceHalfhill

Answer by CandaceHalfhill at 12:08 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• It depends on the medication. If it is prescription then most likely her doctor knows. I have taken medication like Zyrtec and allergy shots when pregnant and doctor said it was fine. Percocet might be a different story.
    jfreesNish

Answer by jfreesNish at 12:19 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• There are no studies showing that Percocet is harmful to an unborn baby. It does pass through, but it does not cause birth defects.

It's not your decision, it's your sister's (the mother's) decision.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:13 AM on Sep. 14, 2008

• I can't say anything if she is taking them as directed. If she is ABUSING them, her baby will be born an addict and she could lose custody. Is she going to her prenatal appointments? Dont they test for that?
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 8:46 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• i think so
    peace423

Answer by peace423 at 12:41 PM on Apr. 5, 2009