The In-Laws...tell me if this is wrong or if you would do the same thing

We live right in the middle of basicly his whole family. His aunt lives beside us, his mom, brother, and great grandpa live on the other side(beside us), his grandma lives 2 houses behind us, and his dad lives down the road. Dad is not an issue at all though. I absolutly LOVE all of his family, but i dont spend a lot of time with them, His aunt, although sweet as can be, drinks a lot and gets rather annoying sometimes, especially when she is drunk. We have to go over there to shower because our shower is broken and isnt fixed yet, so i only go over there to shower, and always come up with some kind of excuse to leave. Although i do take her dinner almost everynight, i feel like maybe i am being somewhat rude. He and his family knw that she can be annoying so im sure they understand. And with him mom and the rest of them, again, LOVE them, and they do not get on my nerves at all, but i rarely go over there. And when i do its usually with him. I just feel weird, i dont really have a reason to go over ther, but i feel i should because if ima be with him for the rest of my life then i need to be closer to them. Im closer to his aunt than anyone else. Am i wrong? What should i do? And for those of you who think i need to talk to him about it, i alrealdy have!! But, as usual, he just stares at me and says "i dunno baby"

arkelly2188

Asked by arkelly2188 at 2:47 PM on Mar. 2, 2011 in Relationships

• OP you are close to them, actually agreeing to LIVE that close. :) I don't visit my in laws w/o DH either. I too get along with them VERY WELL. I believe that is NORMAL for many.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 2:51 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• Why do you feel you need to come up with an excuse to leave? You have a life, and you don't live in her house. You do need to thank her for the use of the shower when you go, and tell her you'll talk to her later.

You sound plenty close to the family. I don't think you have anything to worry about here.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:02 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• Well since you are all 'neighbors' it sounds like you do see them quite a bit as it is. If you feel that you don't have a close personal relationship with them, then maybe you need to find some common ground (like things you have in common) or ask them about any hobbies they have, find something that you can connect with them about. when my mil watched my oldest child after my maternity leave, I did feel a bit weird going to her house w/o hubs. But over time it became easier, as I would find things to talk to hear about-- like the other grandkids, my son's newest accomplishment or I would ask my mil about her latest quilting project (she makes quilts). So once I 'broke the ice' and started finding some common ground it became easier. Now I have no problem going to her house.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 3:43 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• I don't think you are really doing anything wrong. sounds like you are doing a lot for this women and seeing her a lot. If you don't want to be around her too much, I think that's ok.

give yourself a break.
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 5:33 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• sounds normal
    Jssg1986

Answer by Jssg1986 at 9:35 PM on Mar. 3, 2011