Traveling with a month old baby?

Hi ladies,

I need some advice. My husbands cousin and fiancee' are engaged to be married. Everyone thought their wedding would be in 2012 but they surprised us all with the announcement that it was going to be August 20th of this year.
I'm due July 9th with my first baby. There is no scheduled c-section or anything so it's just an estimated due date.

Anyway, I adore my cousins fiancee', she was even at my bachelorette party and wedding. She's great and I so badly wanted to go to their wedding, but it just seems too soon to travel by plane with a baby, and the drive would be extremely long, too. We live in CT and they are in Michigan.

My MIL keeps saying the baby will be fine and that we should go because family will want to see him, etc and that I shouldn't be so paranoid. I feel a bit pressured into the decision but I won't do anything to harm my child. I don't know how long one should wait to travel with a baby so she may very well be correct that I am just overly paranoid lol!

Any advice on the matter would be appreciated cause I'm new to this and have no idea! A lot of people tell me young babies fly a lot better than older ones but they don't specify how young...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:48 PM on Mar. 2, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Talk with your OB/midwife, I know there's a short period of time right after a baby is born they're not big on them flying, but I don't know what that age is. I would imagine if baby is born happy and healthy there would be nothing wrong with baby flying that young, they're just going to sleep anyways. However, I also don't know what kind of role the high altitude plays on their little ears. If it were me I'd be talking with my dr. about her opinion, based on this buy the tickets, and then get an ok from a pediatrician. My friend flew with her 6 week old infant, but I'm not sure the difference between 4 and 6 weeks. The baby slept the entire time. I flew with a 3 month old, he too slept the entire time. And my cousin flew with her 7 week old, she slept/nursed the entire time. Easiest flight of my life. Just talk with your dr,'s and babies dr.'s.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 2:52 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• That's not that big of a deal. I got on a plane with a 3 week old baby because my dad had a heart attack. It's actually very pleasant! All she did was sleep. You don't have pay for a ticket either. It will all come together the closer you get to the time. It's far away right now.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 3:31 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• From my experience after the birth of my three children, I could not imagine going anywhere major that soon. First of all, you can bleed for up to 6 weeks after the baby is born. I did all six weeks each time. You have to wear pads, and it is not great! Second, I would not want to put such a small baby on a plane with all of those germs! I am not a germ freak but that is pretty young. But the advantage is they still sleep quite a bit at that age, if you nurse, that makes it even easier! You will just have to talk to the doc and barring any complications with your delivery or the health of the baby, you should be good to go!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 3:34 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• well, i took my son who was 3 months at the time from CA to MO driving and he did pretty dang good for such a long trip
    Jssg1986

Answer by Jssg1986 at 9:26 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• I wouldn't do it. At 1 month, you're still recovering yourself.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 9:59 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• At one month you'll still be recovering (and bleeding ) and trying to get the whole mama thing down. I probably wouldn't. It'll definitely be stressful and you don't want to expose your baby to all the germs at airports/on planes.
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 10:53 PM on Mar. 2, 2011