Should religion take a back seat?

I'm talking about the kind that is all consuming....church all the time, witnessing, studying the bible 24-7.

In my humble opinion, religion should take a back seat to more pressing issues like our dying planet.
This is our home, not some fairy tale in the sky some where else.
No disrespect, just my opinion.

TwilightMack

Asked by TwilightMack at 3:05 PM on Mar. 2, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• I think spirituality and tending to important issues can go hand in hand. Its when you get the preachy people that it doesnt cuz they forget they are dealing with human beings who feel and see things differently and dont need things shoved in their faces.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 7:20 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• One does not preclude the other. Indeed, caring for our planet is a matter if faith: God gave us stewardship of it. If one is neglecting stewardship of one's health, one's family and one's environment in favor of going to church and poring over the Bible, that person is going to have a rude surprise.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:07 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• No I dont think religion needs to takea back seat. For me its the cornerstone of how I choose to live my life, raise my children, what makes me want to do more for the community and everything else. It is a part of who I am, and who I am directly effects charities I choose to take part in.

Answer by gemgem at 3:09 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• Nope because what I believe God will undo all the damage that we humans have done to his wonderful earth. God is the only one that has the power to fix it
    Patience909

Answer by Patience909 at 3:11 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• My involvement in my religion is not an all encompassing "church all the time" type of thing. But there are many aspects of it that are an intrinsic part of who I am and how I look at things like a dying planet. In fact, we are founding members of a community garden at our synagogue, DH and I are building plots for the needy which the kids and I will work this summer, we are starting our own chicken coop because we have a problem with the food industry, and due to a teacher's involvement in what we call Tikun Olam (fixing the world) my oldest child is huge in raising funds for education in war torn Darfur.

It can be a driving force for the way we live our lives in a positive way.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 3:17 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• I dont think religion needs to take a back seat.
    okmommy08

Answer by okmommy08 at 3:23 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• One of Judaism's most important principles is Tikkun Olam, or repairing the world. Making the planet a better place is at least as important as studying Torah

Answer by rkoloms at 3:35 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• For some people those things can go hand in hand with faith.

And just because you don't believe in it doesn't mean its "imaginary".
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 4:11 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• My faith and my religion are part of who I am, they aren't mutually exclusive to other issues. However my religion and my faith teaches that  we are meant to actively participate in the world.  I don't see how faith gets in the way of someones concern for our dying planet.  I'm religious and I recycle, turn off lights, and conserve water.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 5:50 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• LOL Religion is not important to you, so it should not be important to me. I feel like I am talking to, a guy, that I am glad I dumped, only maybe not religion but....alright, I'm done. To answer the question, I respect God as the creator of this world, of course I care deeply about it. There are scriptures that support a renewed earth.
    2tinyhineys

Answer by 2tinyhineys at 6:05 PM on Mar. 2, 2011