How do you get a 2 yo to stay with us at the store?

My son hates being put into the cart and stands up and tries to jump out every time (it becomes dangerous to put him in it) so we started to let him just walk with us. He does good for the most part but about half way threw decides it would be fun to play tag/ hide and seek. Any ideas on to how to get him to stay with us?

amygoetsch

Asked by amygoetsch at 3:13 PM on Mar. 2, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• an umbrella stroller maybe? the carts at the grocery store have a strap and my 2 year old still gets strapped in. they cant stand up if strapped in. if at a different type of store though, i put her in a stroller.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 3:15 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• If my child won't stay next to me, they will ride in the cart, buckled in. No exceptions. If it is a store without carts and they choose to run away, they get one warning, then we leave, despite any protests they may have.
    kmstockwell

Answer by kmstockwell at 3:16 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• I use a child harness. Not sure if you're one of those anti-harness people, but it works great for us. My daughter gets the freedom of walking around and I have the peace of mind of knowing she can't just book it whenever she feels the need.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 3:17 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• I agree I would be putting him back in the cart and strapping him in. Either that or I would tell him if he can't behave then he is going back in the cart. You could also try letting him get ahead of you and thinking he is lost. As long as you can still see him and know that he is okay it might scare him enough to not walk away again. I understand this might not be something you want to do although right now he has no fear and if he isn't getting in trouble for walking away then to him it is a game. You need to set the rules before you go into the store so he knows what is going to happen.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 3:18 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• i make my daughter hold my hand
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 3:19 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• My child 2 almost three was just like yours he wont be buckled or will cause huge hissy fit in the grocery store. He has been so far my most stuborn child. Then at a store he got lost only for a few seconds since then he stays in the cart,. I also tell him he can have one thing if he behaves and stays buckled. We have dont this a few times and now he knows what to expect. Im not saying that you should lose your child in a store.lol It did work by accident for me.
    okmommy08

Answer by okmommy08 at 3:22 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• Around 18 months I started telling my son "if you stay with mommy, you can walk. If you walk away, you will have to ride in the cart" It took a couple times of him crying in the cart, but he understood completely. He's 2 now and has no problem staying with me.

Answer by missanc at 3:25 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• When my daughter was old enough to start walking beside me, she would either have to hold my hand or, if I had a cart, she would have to hold onto the side of the cart. If you don't care that he actually holds onto you or the cart, insist that he stay right beside you. Let him know that those are the rules, period, without exception. As soon as he doesn't follow the rule, put him back in the cart and try again next time (or in 5 minutes or so, if you're in the store that long). Just make sure you tell him why he's being put back in the cart.
    Trasee

Answer by Trasee at 3:25 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• Velcro
    Anonymous

• i cheat. if my daughter refuses to sit in the cart, and refuses to walk calmly, she gets put into lockdown deathgrip hold by my husband. because we did this the very first time she tried to be an asshole, we almost never have problems. they learn very quickly.

i am very lucky that i don't have to go shopping with just her and deal with it all on my own, we shop as a family. if that's not an option for you, try to keep some healthy snacks with you and plan ahead for shopping trips. raisins and other dried fruit are a time consuming, healthy distraction he can have while sitting in the cart.
    mellypoo

Answer by mellypoo at 3:34 PM on Mar. 2, 2011