Toddler ashamed of poop?

my 20 month old ds has been throwing a huge cry fest every time I try to change a poopy diaper of his. He doesn't hide to actually poop, but gets frantic when we have to change him. I don't know what to do!? I'm sure he's just becomming aware and whatnot, but how do I reinforce that poopy diapers are super diapers?! Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:19 PM on Mar. 2, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I am not sure if it is a matter of being ashamed of it...does he act ashamed or just fussy? I know kids love to surprise you, but for so young, would they really understand something enough to be ashamed of it? My first thoughts would be to maybe start potty training. If he is having a reaction to being changed, it might be a good time to encourage a potty. Just a thought!
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 3:39 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• Maybe it's not ashamed, but fear or disappointment with himself...? He actually has started putting his jammies back on in the morning so that we wouldn't change him, he gets frantic almost! I don't think he's ready for the potty, though we have introduced it.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:42 PM on Mar. 2, 2011