Flying with baby - on lap or in seat?

I know you can fly with your baby for free on your lap, but do you think that's safe? My mother in law thinks we should buy my 11 month old son a ticket so he gets his own seat and he'll be safer that way. Now I'm confused - what do you think? It's only a 1 hour and 45 minute flight.

jacksmom1225

Asked by jacksmom1225 at 3:22 PM on Mar. 2, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Save your money and keep the baby on your lap. The plane ride is short enough that it should be quite manageable. I traveled longer than that with my baby and it was a breeze.
    Anonymous

• When my children were little, they were always lap children. With my son we didnt' have an option. I never worried.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 3:25 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• Lap is fine! Flying is very safe and even if you paid for a seat you'd still probably end up holding him anyway. We flew with DD when she was 6 mos about the same length flight and she fell asleep since she was "safe" in Daddy's arms
    NHRachel

Answer by NHRachel at 3:26 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• what i did when i flew with ds(10month) was, we didnt get him a seat but we asked if there were any extras avalible and if there was he got to fly in his carseat in the seat by the window. if they are under a certain age they have to be in a ffa aproved carseat, most of them are.
    dreamangel06

Answer by dreamangel06 at 3:34 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• IMO having a lap baby is easier and cheaper. I flew from MI to MX with my 7 month old on my lap and she practically slept the whole time. Only time she was awake really was in the airports or when she was hungry. If you're wanting to take a carseat with you though, buying an extra seat would make sense.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 3:36 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• I would def NOT have the baby in a seat--what happens if the baby is scared.. confused.. ears popping.. & wants to be held then you have just paid for a car seat to sit there by you! lol.. def. Silly!!
    mohme2three

Answer by mohme2three at 3:48 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• I wouldn't be concerned with safety. If the plane is crashing, its not going to make a difference whether your child is in a carseat or you're holding him.

However, if you've got a carseat, it would probably make sense to buy a seat.

Btw, kudos to you for being brave enough to travel with your child. I won't be doing that until my son is, oh, I don't know 25? LOL
    metalhealthmom

Answer by metalhealthmom at 4:24 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• You can check the carseat with your luggage, and it will be there for you when you get off the plane. You can also bring the stroller with you straight up to the plane, where they will store it away for you and have it ready right when you are getting off.....Its a great way to still use it in the airport!
    Don't pay for another seat. Your baby will want to be with you anyway and its a big expense for no reason. Its a short flight and he will be fine! ~ UNLESS she wants to pay for the ticket :)
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 5:48 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• I held my son on my lap, soon enough the airlines will charge you for your child whether they are on your lap or in a seat.....i am suprised they dont already charge you for using the potty on the aircraft!!!!
    team21

Answer by team21 at 5:51 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• Oh I have expert advice on this. I've flown several times with my 7 month old overseas (8 hr flights) and he sat on our lap. First of all I've never heard of it being free even on the lap you still have to pay a portion of the full ticket price. This summer we are flying to France and he will be sitting on my lap again and he'll be 10 months. In my opinion, sit him on your lap you save a lot of money and a 2hr flight is very short. Just bring things to entertain the baby. Also, flying at night is great so they sleep :)
    walkintherain

Answer by walkintherain at 6:33 PM on Mar. 2, 2011