Olive oil for baking?

I was expecting company today for lunch and needed to make cornbread to go with the chili. Anyway I realized too late I had no veg oil. All I had was extra virgin olive oil. I used it instead and the cornbread tasted great, better than normal, but I am worried that it is not okay to use it for baking.

Can you tell me what difference it makes using the different oil?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:30 PM on Mar. 2, 2011 in Food & Drink

• Besides taste, olive oil has a lower burning temperature, so it is not good for frying. For baking, it works just the same, but with a different flavor.

:)
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 3:35 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• I don't keep the other crap in the house, it is perfectly fine, and better for you.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 3:35 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• Has to do with the smoke point of the oil. Past a certain temperature, you get chemical changes. A little info here:
    http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=george&dbid=56

Answer by gdiamante at 3:36 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• The only oils I have in the house are coconut oil and olive oil; two of the healthiest (hemp oil is good too but I don't use it to bake). I always use olive oil for baking with fantastic results.

I would personally avoid canola oil. It is made from rapeseed, which is highly toxic to the heart. Being so toxic, it is genetically modified to make it "safe" but the verdict is still out on whether or not GMOs in general are safe.
    Anonymous

• it is much better for you.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 3:42 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• I bake with olive oil all the time. I used to use canola/corn oil, then I found out about the problems associated with too much omega 6, so I switched to "lite" olive oil (almost no flavor) for baking sweet stuff, and keep with the extra virgin for savory cooking.

YAY Omega 3! :-D
    ss_mom

Answer by ss_mom at 4:58 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• It's the only oil I use.
    1smartcookie

Answer by 1smartcookie at 12:52 PM on Mar. 3, 2011